Deadly Dreams

My body was shivering wildly and my lungs felt as if they were on fire. My legs and arms stiffened as my eyes shot open. All I could see was darkness, only a small light above my head. My eyes became blurry and bubbles floated out of my mouth.

I flailed my arms and screamed, only to let in more water. As much as I tried, I couldn't move up, I couldn't swim to the top.

Further and further I fell.

Screaming.

Kicking.

My heart pounding and my body already willing to give up.

I soon became light headed, screaming for Marshall, or anyone to help me. I couldn't breathe.

I accidentally gulped in a large amount of water, making my eyes tear up. I pushed myself up, only to be pressed back down.

A second gulp made its way into my mouth as I screamed.

My heart pounded, my stomach sinking with helplessness.

This is how I'm going to die, what a waste.

I shut my eyes and let out one last scream before my body fell limp.

**

I opened my eyes, instantly squinting at the sun that shone, blinding me slightly. A dark figure stood above me, walking back and forth.

"Ma-"

"FIONNA? FI? OH MY GLOB FIONNA WHAT THE HELL? WHAT WERE YOU THINKING? DONT EVER DO THAT AGAIN NO, NO, NO OH MY GLOB OH MY GLOB WHAT HAPPENED OH W..." Marshall's voice boomed, as he pressed on to me. His voice began to quiver and his arms that laid over my stomach started to shake.

And he did something I've never seen him do before.

He began to cry.

I coughed my heart out, throwing up water and chunks of a granola bar. Even through that, Marshall never moved from my side. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion, running my fingers through Marshall's wet hair, my heart nearly beating out of my chest. A lump formed in my throat at the sight of his tears.

"W-what did I do?" I finally choked out, staring at his shaking body. I wiped my lips of access puke-water, disgusted at myself.

He looked up at me, cupping my face in his hands. "What do you mean? Fionna you almost drowned! Why were you even in the pond in the first place?" he asked, a few extra tears cascading down his cheeks and plopping onto my face.

"The pond? I don't- I- I'm sorry- I don't know-" I stated, remembering small flashbacks of myself under water. Marshall's face was filled with shock and worry. His body began to shiver as he floated above me. I sat up and wrapped my arms around his neck, pulling him into a hug. "I just went to sleep and woke up... woke up underwater." I whispered into his ear, my shirt sticking tightly to my body, and my wet hair clinging to both of us.

Marshall's breathing was heavy and deep, his voice shaking as he spoke. "I", he paused, "Fionna you scared me to death."

"I'm so sorry." I said, a tear falling down my face. "But you're already dead." I laughed as I began to cry.

Marshall quickly looked up, his eyes watery and chocolate brown. His thumb wiped away my tear and he sat up, pulling me into his chest. He smiled slightly, letting out a sigh. "Even when you-" he paused a moment, choking on his words, "when you almost die, you're still picking on me."

I could feel him smile on my shoulder which made me smile in return.

"But seriously Fi, are you okay?" he whispered, hugging me closer.