Mistakes

We walked in a comfortable silence for awhile, leaving each of us to our own thoughts.

I was left to think about many things, including the period just a few days ago in which Marshall and I had not even talked.

Six months the Vampire disappeared to the Nightosphere, although two weeks out of it I heard he spent roaming with his band.

He hadn't left on good terms with me, we were in the middle of a fight about nothing other than my relationship with Flame Prince. The day after our fight I had went over to apologize(but more like get an apology from him) only to find him missing, not even a small note left for me to find.

Six months I worried for the safety of my friend, unable to do anything. Cake made sure I didn't have access to the Nightosphere in every way she could, knowing I would try to go after him. For the first week or two I grew a little depressed, not wanting to adventure without my craziest friend.

When he came back we silently agreed to not bring up what terms we left on. When he came back to me crying over Flame, I could see a look of 'I told you so' on his face but he never expressed it, thankfully.
**
FLASHBACK
**

"He's not good for you." he huffed, sitting in front of me.

"Not good for me?" I questioned angrily, scrunching my eyebrows. "Cake says you're not good for me either but if I listen to what other people say all the time, then where would I be?"

He gave me a glare and ran his hand through his hair. "Fi," he paused to think on his words, "your too young."

My heart stopped.

"Too young? TOO YOUNG? For what? To date someone my age? I'm 16! It's just dating Marshall Lee!"

He cringed at the use of his whole name, looking away. "Your going to get hurt."

"I get hurt all of the time."

"This is worse."

"I can handle myself, Marshall Lee." I huffed out, my heart beating rapidly.

After a long pause he finally spoke, exhaling quickly. "Your so stubborn Fionna! Why won't you listen to me? Why cant you wait a year or so to start dating? Once everything has settled down in your lif-"

"I don't need you telling me when I should or shouldn't do something! W-what do you think you are? MY DAD? MY BOYFRIEND?" I yelled, standing up.

He stayed silent, never standing up to meet my gaze.

"No. I think I'm your f-"

I turned away and walked out of his door only to hear him calling after me. I quickened my pace and made it to my house, ignoring the late night calls I received from Marshall.

**
END FLASHBACK
**

After that night I hadn't seen him until the day Flame had broken up with me, for a reason to be much later discussed.

The subject is still touchy to me, though when I'm with Marshall, he takes my mind off of the pain.
And, as much as I hate to admit it, he was right.

This pain is much worse than anything.

It runs through my body, making even one simple thing remind me of Flame. I cringe and hold back tears everytime, although I can always tell Marshall knows something is wrong.

Although I'm perfectly fine with letting our bad times go, I can't help but always ask myself why Marshall was so interested in my romantic life.

But then again, I wonder why I'm so interested in him, period.

"Fi? You alright?"

I was welcomed back into reality by a deep voice that echoed through my ears. I looked around, my senses coming back and suddenly realized I had let a few tears silently escape my eyes.

"Wh- yeah, yeah. I'm sorry I'm just thinking." I said, giving a forced smile in his direction.

He decided against pushing it and nodded, checking the map. Thats something I almost always liked about him. Marshall Lee could read me like a spell book. He knew what I was feeling and when I felt it and I didn't have to say a word. I could give him a certain facial expression and he knew automatically what I was talking about and that always came in handy.

We had been walking underground for a few hours now and my legs were growing weary.

"There's a tunnel up here close, we use that to go back above ground. It should lead us to the path Gumbutt said to follow." Marsh said, checking the map once again.
"When we get outside well set up camp, okay Fi?" He asked, noticing my tired behavior. I nodded and yawned silently, trudging on but letting a few more silent tears slip down my face.

Just thinking about Flame Prince makes my heart die all over again.
He was always a good friend, Flame Prince. Now a friendship was ruined because of a romance that would have never worked, no matter how hard the two of us had tried.

More silence rang around us as we neared the tunnel.

A little over an hour later we were above ground, finally, but this time far away from anywhere near the Candy Kingdom. I looked around but saw nothing but trees which definitely raised my alert level.
We sat up camp under a large canopy of trees because the sun was up. We had left at midnight, after all.

I rushed behind a thick tree to change into the comfy clothes I had packed while Marshall did the same behind an opposite tree.

We laid beside each other silently, our eyes closed. My arms were sprawled out above my head and I could feel the grass poking me from underneath the blanket.

"I'm so sorry, Fi." I heard, just as I was about to finally drift off. My breath hitched, but instead of asking why or replying at all, I cowered out, pretending to sleep, and leaving Marshall to himself.