No Time Soon

"His life."

The room was silent as I glared at Marshall with watery eyes. Why would he sell his life just to be able to look over me? Wasn't he the one who wanted to be away from me in the first place? It all started with that stupid deal: He can only visit once a week, no affectionate touching, and if I could do all that for a month, Marsh would tell me his true feelings towards me.

That idiot.

I couldn't handle the pressing silence anymore. I stood up quickly, knocking Cake off my lap and onto the floor with a thump. Tears flew down my face but sadness wasn't the main emotion I was feeling.

It was anger.

"You idiot!" I screamed, my voice cracking towards the end and revealing just how weak I felt. This was all my fault. I really would be losing him now and it's all my fault. No, not it's not. It's his fault too.

"Why can't you ever trust me to be on my own?" I whined, running my hands through my now short hair. "You didn't have to do that! I didn't ask you to protect me!"

"Fi, hey it's no-"

"Why are you so calm about this, anyway?" I asked him, slamming my hands down on the coffee table that sat in front of him.

"Why are you so worked up?"

"Because you're going to die, you idiot!"

"Well I was going to die anyway, I mean it-"

"Really? Cause you're like a thousand years old! You weren't goi-"

"Fionna, calm down and let him explain." Cake whispered in my ear. She was now behind me, her paws pressing gently down on my shoulders and leading me to the chair that sat in front of the table, opposite Marshall.

Cake's gentle fingers worked through my hair, combing it away from my face and relaxing me at the same time.

"Magic woman," she called sweetly, "do you have any scissors? We can't have you looking like this, Fionna." she chuckled.

Why was she so calm about this, as well? The urge to push her away was strong but the calming sensation of her touch soothed me too much to act.

"Fi it's not what you think, really." Marshall began again, a smirk placed proudly on his face. "Magic Woman always words things so dramatically."

I didn't mumble any answer or even nod a reply. I simply stared back at him, my tears coming less and less now. All I felt now was numbness and my face showed that. He cleared his throat before continuing again, his smirk faltering slightly.

"It's kind of hard to explain. I appreciate your caring but I'm not dying anytime soon." he chuckled, "that's not very fun, after all."

"Get to the point already." I hissed, leaning into my sisters touch as she massaged my scalp.

"Vampires can live hundreds of thousands of years but eventually they die. Demons are the same. I would have died one day anyway. But, with the contract I made with Magic Woman, that day of death is just a little closer."

The room was silent aside from the sound of scissors cutting hair and Magic Woman huffing impatiently every now and then. I looked up from my hands to Marshall's eyes, scanning them for any sign of fear or regret but the only thing present was happiness.

I didn't want to know the answer, but I had to ask. "How close?"

"Glad you asked," he chuckled, his smirk appearing full-force. "I'm now living in human years. Isn't that great?"

My eyes widened and I couldn't hide the smile that twisted its way onto my lips. "Great?" I scoffed, rolling my eyes, "Marshall, you realize that means you'll get old. And that means you'll get wrinkles. And that means you can't wear skinny jeans forever." I laughed at the last part, relieved I wouldn't be losing my best friend anytime soon.