Prince of Emotions

It was much later that I learned the gut wrenching, heart thumping news.

Prince Gumball, heir of the Candy Kingdom, was dead.

In my haze of emotionless emotions, when I had first discovered Cake on the floor cold as ice, I failed to spot the patches of red covering the bright pink skin of Gumball. Failed to hear his panted breaths and spits of blood.

They said that after Marshall had carried me away from that room, Gumball dropped there on the spot-begging for help but not receiving it in time.

After getting me some much needed fresh air, (even though there wasn't a ray of sun in sight and was beginning to sprinkle), as well as a hand to hold and shoulder to cry on, Marshall carried me once again into the hospital room I was all too familiar with.

"You aren't completely healed yet." he whispered, leading me to my bed and calling for a nurse.

"Speak for yourself." his leg was wrapped in bandages-from being broken or not, I couldn't tell. It's not like it would hurt him anyway, he always had floating.

"Are-do you want to tell Lord M or sho-?" he began, trying to sound comforting but really-it definitely wasn't the best time.

"Me." I hummed. A tear slipped past my cheek, and as Marsh brushed it away, his cold hands didn't seem as cold.

"Fionna, I should tell you something, you know, before the doctors do." he paused, sitting down in the chair next to my bed as I sat up. I nodded for him to continue but he did so with caution. "After your accident-you didn't have enough blood. I had to...supply you with some."

Thanks, but why is this a big deal?

"And uh, well because of that... you won't be able to go into the sunlight-I mean, of course unless you have the gel, which I have plenty we can share, you know?"

Oh. Another tear down my cheek.

"Hah, at least it saved me right? Thank you...Marshall." I smiled a sad smile, looking away from his piercing eyes before closing mine entirely.

"I'm... sorry, Fi."

"I told you to quit saying that. I'm... I'm sorry too. For not listening, I mean. And not calling you sooner. And now, now Cake s-"

"Fi, you know you still have a family. I'm here, and your nieces and nephews and Lord M and Fionna I'm just so glad you're alright." He paused to take a deep, shaky breath, running his fingers through his slightly damp hair.

"I just, Fi, I just love you so much and I'm so sorry that I had to leave you alone but I swear, you won't be alone anymore, not at all, and," he sniffed, quickly wiping away the tears that spilled down his face, "and you're just my world Fionna." and he wanted to say more, I could tell by the way his lips remained parted, begging for words to come out, yet all that escaped him was a sob.

By this point though, I was crying as well.

"I love you," I muttered, reaching up and pushing his head down against my chest. "so much, Marsh." I laughed a little, remembering when I was scared to say these words, but now they were his oxygen, and his "I love you's" were mine.

And even though some of my bones were still broken, my sister no longer breathing, and the kingdom without a ruler; all was good.

Because Marsh was here.

All was good.

It was a few days later that Lord M and his kids came to visit. One of the nurses had gotten the news to him before I had the chance to, so he spent those few days telling his kids and preparing himself to face the outside world once more.