Don't Speak

Too many people to deal with. I knew there would be too many faces filled with worry and accusation, so instead of, like a normal person, going into the castle by the front doors, I quickly scaled the building, flying into a open window that I knew would lead me to the hospital there.

I didn't know why Magic Woman would try to hurt Fionna, unless of course the deal with the spaceship was somehow cut off. But why would the construction be uncontinued? What-or more likely-who was responsible for this?

Well, Gumball obviously. Right? Fionna couldn't have the power to stop the construction-unless she somehow was able to bribe Gumidiot to stop. But, then again, why would she do that?

My eyes darted around as my fingers clenched the coldening body in my hands. My skin was soaked in blood and my senses were craving to stop this moment and lick every single drop off of me, and out of Fionna. The smell of her blood was maddening, to say the least, but still I didn't give in-I wouldn't give in, even as my stomach started to rumble.

Instead of landing in the Emergency department, I happened into the nursery by mistake.

Shit! Fucking Globbing bastards, stupid fucking babies, damn Globbing fucking stars what the fu- oh, a door.

I could feel my head pounding from lust, my eyes growing dizzier by the second as my grip on Fionna slipped around, the blood causing my fingers to grow prune-like and slick.

How delicious.

No, disgusting.

It was disgusting and I needed help, Fionna needed help. As soon as my stumbling feet were out of the doorway of the nursery, that's exactly what I called for.

I've never screamed so loudly in my life.

My heart was thumping rapidly in my chest and suddenly, I noticed the bruises on Fionna's skin. They weren't bruises in the shape of my hand though, they were large and from what I could tell, only appearing on her torso. Her shirt was lifted enough that I could see the purplish marks, but not enough that I could see anything she wouldn't want me to.

I mean, she might want me to. But, definitely not in this situation, right?

Shut up, Marsh, this isn't the time.

It was getting harder to breath but still I called again for help.

"SOMEONE FUCKING HELP, HELP FIONNA IS DYING, HEY, SOMEONE HELP NOW!" I screamed, my breathing growing shallow and my body growing hot all over.

I couldn't-Fionna was dying-I can't breathe, I can't think, I can't-my body is heavy...

And thank Glob above, a nurse finally came around the corner. She was dressed in pink scrubs with a white hat atop her head, a red cross in the middle of it. She looked a little like tofu, but I remembered, she was nurse Poundcake, right?

Horror instantly struck her face as she backed away from me. Fucking idiot, can't she see Fionna is hurt?!?

"I didn't do this to her." I coughed, my vision becoming even more clouded by the second. The older woman opened her mouth to speak, and maybe a word or two came out but I couldn't hear anything over my own heart beat.

My arms shot out towards the useless nurse, begging her to take the dying human. "HELP HER!" I wailed, not waiting for the woman to take her from me. I wobbled forward, placing Fionna in her shaky arms before letting out a sigh of relief.

My mouth was dry and my chest was as heavy as if I were being buried alive. My back rested against a wall as I unknowingly smeared blood across the white surface. The palms of my hands rested against my knees as I fought with everything I had to not fall down.

I tried to talk to the doctor as he arrived quickly, asking me what happened and if I was injured. I couldn't do anything but stand there, wide eyed and listening to the murmuring of nurses in the background. I couldn't say anything but small whimpers that embarrassingly made their way out of my mouth.

I was burning up, yet my skin was as cold as ever. I could feel my sweat matting my hair-or was it blood? My hands were shaking uncontrollably, and my breaths were coming shallowly from my mouth.

Ew, I've always hated mouth-breathers.

"He's in shock, get him cleaned up and into a bed, I need to go get some research books. Nurse! Get Fionna into a bed as well, clean her up first so that we can see her wounds. We're gonna have to put these two in the same room, we're running outta space in here." The doctor yelled over the commotion, and if my body would have let me, I would have ran to stay with Fionna.

But I couldn't move. I tried to think of what to say, I tried to move, but in the end, it only resulted in me becoming even more lightheaded.

"Fi-"

"Come on, Marshall Lee, we need to get you cleaned u-"

"Fionna..."

"Yes, yes, she's going to be fine now le-"

"Fio-"

"Marshall Lee, she's going to be fine, she's fine, it's fine." the nurse said, yet she sounded just as unsure as I felt. I let the short woman lead me by the arm into an empty room, with only two white beds to fill the space. A purple curtain separated the two beds-for privacy, I guessed.

"Marshall Lee can you tell me what, ah, what happened?"

Suddenly I was sitting on the white hospital bed I had just been looking at, with my shirt off, and half the blood gone from my skin. The nurse slowly slid a wet cloth down my arm, removing a caked-on red substance.

"Where's Fionna?" I croaked out, furrowing my eyebrows at how weak I sounded. My breathing hadn't changed from before-the shallowness was slowly driving me crazy. I needed air, I needed to breathe. I needed Fionna.

"It's okay just lay down. Fionna's being fixed up right now. Her bed should be brought in here in just a few minutes."

And as if I wasn't confused enough already, it got worse.

I was laying down on the white, chemical smelling sheets now. A blanket covered my half-naked body as the only light in the room came from the window- that being the moon, as it shone through the glass.

I could feel my body getting better, yet I was as tired as ever. My breathing was steadying, as well as my heart beat. My eyelids were drooping and I couldn't help but close them.

So many thoughts, so many worries, so much anxiety. Fionna was going to be fine, wasn't she? She's so strong, and tough, and intense.

But I, I was so weak I could hardly move my body. I was begging myself to close my eyes, yet my brain was somewhere else entirely. Why was I even in the hospital?

I was fine.

Fionna, oh, Fionna she...she was not fine.

I needed to be next to her. What if she was awake and scared and wondering where I was and why I wasn't by her side? Was she crying or numb or both or none of those three? What was she thinking, and how serious were her injuries?

I need to know so many things.

Who else was responsible for hurting her? Magic Woman, for the few moments I talked with her, was sort of a sensible woman. She wouldn't rampage for no reason. Well, scratch that, she probably would do that.

After what seemed like hours of thinking to myself, when I realized I couldn't move and Fionna wouldn't be wheeled into the room anytime soon, I allowed my eyes to remain closed and brain to settle down.

I slept.

And it was one of the worst nights I had had in a long time.