Ilvermorny Grounds @willowwhisps

The school grounds go on for miles and it's absolutely beautiful here

The school grounds go on for miles and it's absolutely beautiful here. Surrounding it is the only taiga boreal forest in the state of Massachusetts. On a good day, you can see five states from either the observation tower, located in the main building, or from the Astronomy Tower. Located in between the library and the main castle is the Snakewood Tree, in the main courtyard. The same one that grew from the wand of Gormlaith Gaunt. Unlike the Whomping Willow at Hogwarts, the Snakewood tree is not aggressive or violent and is known to have medicinal qualities. A statue in honor of Samuel Potter is close to the tree. A memorial to the victims of the Irish Potato Famine (An Gorta Mor) can be found at the Southwest Wall, made up of stones brought from all 32 counties in Ireland. 

Located in the Training Grounds is the Care Of Magical Creatures classroom, aka, the little cottage owned by Professor Aureliana. The forest surrounding the castle is part of Mount Greylock State Forest, run by the state government of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. There are many magical creatures including Hodags, Hidebehinds, Dryads, Snallygasters, Wampus cats, Fairies, sometimes Thunderbirds, Centaurs (introduced from Europe), and Hippogriffs (also introduced from Europe) who live in the forest to the north, south, and east. To the east lies the Massachusetts War Veterans Memorial Tower (which serves as a portal to the city of Adams and also to North Adams and as a generator of the spell that isolates the castle from the rest of the No-Maj World. Winding across the tower is the famous Appalachian Trail. Students like to hike it for exercise or use it as a way to get to nearby North Adams.

Bordering the castle to the west is the mysterious Black Forest, called Taughannock by the Native Americans

Bordering the castle to the west is the mysterious Black Forest, called Taughannock by the Native Americans. It is considered haunted and extremely dangerous, as it is host to a dark and ancient curse. Legend has it that it is the curse that Gormlaith Gaunt cast during her attack on Ilvermorny and is also responsible for the paranormal activity that haunts the mountain and the castle to this day. As a result, students at the nearby school are forbidden to enter it - even in the event of detention. If a student is caught attempting to enter the forest, they may be subject to suspension, or worse, expulsion. Despite the legends that have grown up around the forest, a troop of Sasquatch is known to live in it. But there are also acromantula, centaurs, thestrals, wampus cats, dryads (introduced from Greece) Thunderbirds, Wendigos, Hippogriffs, snallygasters  (introduced from Maryland), hidebehinds and there are also dragons (Known as amphitheres, which are native to America). 

The Thirteenth Tower is located here. But there are also non-magical creatures that live in the forest such as bears, squirrels, deer, raccoons, and non-magical birds, with an official list on eBird of 132 species, including being the only breeding ground in Massachusetts for Blackpoll Warbler. Other important species include Blue-headed Vireo, Red-eyed Vireo, American Redstart, Black-and-White Warbler, Blackburnian Warbler, Common Raven, Mourning Warbler, Black-throated Green Warbler, Chestnut-sided Warbler, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Swainson's Thrush, Veery, Bicknell's Thrush, Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, Winter Wren, Tufted Titmouse, and Black-capped Chickadee. The Aviary is located on the south trail at the Pukwudgie Gate. Further down the mountain to the east is the tiny Wizarding village of Raven's Rocks, with a population of about 15 people, and serves as a rest stop for students hiking along the Bellows Pipe Trail.

 Further down the mountain to the east is the tiny Wizarding village of Raven's Rocks, with a population of about 15 people, and serves as a rest stop for students hiking along the Bellows Pipe Trail

To the south lies the river, where Isolt Sayre met the Horned Serpent. Also in the South Forest lies Sayre Falls, a beautiful swimming hole that only the students and teachers know about. Students can go swimming, go hiking, fishing, go camping, or just enjoy nature. The mysterious Shrouded Lake is located near the Northeast Wall and magical creatures such as Horned Serpents (They will not attack any swimmers), Naiads, Merpeople, hodags, and Hippocampi. There is also a monster living in the lake. There's a beach near Thunderbird Village where students can go swimming. The Naiads are known to be very friendly, kind, playful, and curious, especially around the first years. The cemetery is located southeast of the castle and every headmaster and headmistress and most professors, as well as the founders, are buried in the cemetery. A large mausoleum is located in the center where all the founders and their families are buried.