Resident Advisors and House Presidents @willowwhisps

Resident Advisors (or R

Resident Advisors (or R.A.) are the American equivalent of the Prefects at Hogwarts. House Presidents are the equivalent of the Head Boys and Girls and the Wizarding world's version of a No-Maj Class President. R.A.s and House Presidents remain in their positions until they graduate, resign, or get removed from office. They are selected in their fifth year, while House Presidents are chosen in their sixth or seventh year through a democratic election instead of being appointed by the Headmaster, as is the case at Hogwarts. To determine the best candidate for the position, a series of tests is given, including giving advice to younger students from their house and disciplining someone for breaking the rules. They share similar responsibilities as their Hogwarts counterparts. 

Each house has two Resident Advisors - one male and one female - and one House President, along with his or her own Vice President, and they have their own seat in the Student Council. If an RA or House President is caught not doing their job, breaking the rules, acting inappropriately, or, in rare cases, engaging in corruption, the Student Council can remove them from office judiciously or impeach them. In such cases, the Vice President or a new Resident Advisor will take their place. A special badge is worn on the right side of their robes with the words "Resident Advisor" or "House President" printed on them, and each badge has a distinctive color; turquoise for Horned Serpent, purple for Thunderbird, green for Pukwudgie, and orange for Wampus.

Resident Advisors (RAs) are given limited disciplinary authority. They can deduct up to ten points from their own house for any misbehavior, but they cannot award points or assign detention. However, the badge of an RA provides more authority. If an RA reports a rule violation to a Professor or other faculty member, their report carries more weight than a regular student's. This means that getting in trouble with an Advisor is almost as bad as getting in trouble with the faculty, particularly if the RA decides to report the incident. These guidelines apply to the Head Boy and Head Girl as well, with the exception that they can dock points from any house.

Being helpful/displaying a great attitude: 5 points
Tutoring in Study Hall: 10 points
Reporting issues to faculty or Resident Advisor: 10-50 points
Reporting bullying or fighting: 25 points
Winning a Quidditch Game: 50 points
Participation in Quidditch match: 10 points
Winning the Quidditch Cup: 150 points
Showing house/school spirit (e.g. attending a Quidditch match): 10 points
Good participation in class: 1-100 points
Discovering new tunnels: 20-50 points

Loss of House Points

1. The most common form of discipline is the deduction of House Points. This relies mainly on house pride and the peer pressure of one's housemates to be effective.

2. Resident Advisors may dock points from their own house only, though a Resident Advisor's report on the misbehavior of a member of another house is likely to see that house docked points as well.

3. Usually, no more than five or ten points are taken at a time for minor infractions. But more severe rule-breaking can see the loss of twenty, thirty, or even fifty points. Usually, anything that warrants such a drastic loss will also be accompanied by harsher punishments (see below). The table to the right gives a general idea of the average point losses for various violations. By no means are these numbers set in stone, and a given professor or a resident advisor might dock more or less than the average.

List of violations:

Being cheeky/giving attitude: -5 points
Being a moron: -5 points (yes, that's an actual violation)
Being out after curfew: -15 points
Bullying: -10 to -50 points
Disobedience: -10 points
Stealing: -10 to -50 points. Depending on the severity.
Fighting: -20 points
Leaving school grounds without permission: -50 points
Lying to a faculty member or Resident Advisor: -10 points
Skipping class: -15 points
Uniform violation, minor (e.g. untucked shirt): -5 points
Uniform violation, major (e.g. missing tie): -10 points
Uniform violation, severe (e.g. out of uniform): -15 points