House Covens @willowwhisps

Every house has its own coven consisting only of female students in the third year and up. No boys are allowed. The leader is typically a seventh year although the leader can be a fifth or sixth year if they are qualified. The leader is nominated by the other members. She has to be wise, kind, just and fair, and academically successful. They gather for special occasions, help each other with schoolwork, guide the younger members in their respective covens, practice spells, brew potions, and sometimes experiment with magic.

All members are required to wear long hooded cloaks in their respective house colors for their meetings; turquoise for Horned Serpent, purple for Thunderbird, green for Pukwudgie, and orange for Wampus. The covens usually meet in the afternoon or at night in the common room, the courtyard, or somewhere on the school grounds. They are formally recognized by the American Covens Association (ACA). Senior members of each of the four house covens form a council with their own covens that make important decisions within and act as judges within the covens. The councils have the power to kick out any member, even their coven's respective leaders if they broke the rules. The leaders are members of their coven's council and are voted in democratically.

Members, even leaders and council leaders, can be kicked out of their respective covens for serious violations of the rules. The accused has to go on trial before the entire coven and plea her case. The coven then gets to vote on whether they believe the accused is either innocent or guilty. If she is found to be innocent, she will be immediately welcomed back into the coven. However, if she is found to be guilty, then she will be kicked out of the coven, and depending on the severity of the accusation, she can be disgraced and shunned from the coven. The trials are always led by the leader of the coven or a senior and the Head of House. The accused is only brought to trial if she breaks a major rule within the coven. Very rarely there is a trial because hardly any member breaks the rules in such a serious manner. The trial always takes place in their house's common room.