Native American mythology

The mythology of Native Americans is a vital component of the Ilvermorny School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. This has influenced the selection of the four houses by its founders. Native Americans have played a significant part in shaping the identity of Ilvermorny since its inception and continue to do so today.

The Thunderbird

According to historical accounts and Native American folklore, the thunderbird was once found throughout the continental United States

According to historical accounts and Native American folklore, the thunderbird was once found throughout the continental United States. However, disappearing populations have caused it to become an endemic species primarily found in the deserts and mountains of the American Southwest. Its range currently includes the Four Corner States of New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, western Texas, the Oklahoma Panhandle, Nevada, and southern California. Recently, the thunderbird has been expanding its range into the Great Plains, the High Desert of eastern Oregon, and even as far north as southern British Columbia in Canada and as far south as Mexico and South America. They can also be found in the Pacific Northwest. There have even been reports of breeding populations on the Eastern Seaboard, the Appalachian Mountains, and in Alaska, indicating a promising comeback for this majestic bird. 

Thunderbirds are carnivorous birds that feed on buffalo, mustangs, and cows. However, the Pacific Northwest subspecies prefers killer whales as their chosen prey. They use the electricity that they generate, which can reach up to 80000 volts or more, to stun their prey. Surprisingly, they do not attack humans. These birds are so large that they are capable of carrying a fully-grown killer whale in their talons. Killer whales can grow up to 28 feet in length and weigh between 3000 to 8000 pounds. Isolt Sayre and her friend William the Pukwudgie encountered a group of Thunderbirds during their journey through the deserts of the American Southwest. The feathers of these birds possess magical qualities and are frequently used as wand cores and for potion-making, particularly in the creation of Thunderbird's Folly, a potion invented by Isolt Sayre and later rediscovered by James Evercreetch. As they fly, their feathers can change color, ranging from gold to neon blue, silver, grey, and even deep navy.

Pamola

In the folklore of the Penobscot and Abenaki tribes of Maine, there exists a legendary bird named "Pamola" (meaning "he who curses on the mountain"), who was likely a thunderbird

In the folklore of the Penobscot and Abenaki tribes of Maine, there exists a legendary bird named "Pamola" (meaning "he who curses on the mountain"), who was likely a thunderbird. He was said to be a spirit that lived on the summit of Mount Katahdin, the highest mountain in Maine, and "resented mortals intruding from below". He has the body of a man, the head of a moose, and the wings and legs of a bird.