The Heart Of Wampus

Numerous secret societies have existed throughout the history of Ilvermorny, but none so notoriously un-secret as the Heart of Wampus. Far from hiding their existence, the Heart of Wampus leaves a drawing or carving of the glaring, yellow eyes of a Wampus at the scene of every prank.

The exact origins of the group are unknown, but rumors abound. Some say that Webster Boot and his friends founded the society, as a way to practice dueling and Defense skills away from the prying eyes of authority figures. Others hold that the Heart of Wampus started much later, almost fifty years after the school opened. In one legend, a witch named Isla Morrow and her friends, rampant troublemakers, and thrill-seekers, started a secret club to carry on their mischief even after their graduation. While Isla certainly existed and was indeed a troublemaker during her time at Ilvermorny, her connection with the Heart of Wampus has never been satisfactorily proven.

Membership in the Heart of Wampus is said to be hereditary, though they accept newcomers after they've been thoroughly vetted. Mostly composed of third through seventh-year students, the society uses complicated spells such as the Fidelius Charm to keep their membership and meeting places a secret. The Heart of Wampus relies heavily on such secrecy, as some members could face suspension or even expulsion for the pranks they've executed.

The most memorable prank the Heart of Wampus has pulled off involved enchanting the other House statues to sing rude songs about their Houses. The society left its distinctive signature carved into the Gordian Knot in the center of the main hall. The school board as well as the faculty were outraged at such wanton vandalism of school property and historical artifacts, and the Heart of Wampus lay low for the next few terms. But, ever-unquenched, the members soon returned to their less controversial antics.

It would be an injustice to think of the Heart of Wampus simply as a group of reckless vandals. Most of their pranks are harmless and are usually grand gestures celebrating their House. The night after every Wampus Quodpot and Quidditch victory, the Heart of Wampus sets off fireworks from some spot on the grounds. The fireworks are illegal according to Ilvermorny restrictions and No-Maj law in Massachusetts, but somehow, the society always manages to set off an elaborate display.

The Heart of Wampus is also known for acting as vigilantes on occasion, to stop bullying and abuse among students. Though vigilante justice is slightly problematic in itself, Wampus has reported a drop in incidents of bullying in recent decades.

However, the Heart of Wampus began, it is safe to say that the society's not going to disappear. Many a headmaster has tried to eradicate the society, with no success at all. Fireworks will continue to dazzle the sky after Wampus victories, and yes, there might be a few more singing statues. If they can get away with it.