Student Animagi

The most recent person that could fit this category graduated three years ago and became an Animagus in his seventh year

The most recent person that could fit this category graduated three years ago and became an Animagus in his seventh year. The one before that was 4 years before that. And then there was a pair about 2 years before that, and so on.

Getting approval from MACUSA to become an Animagus is very difficult in general, even for adults. So I can't imagine how hard it is for students. You aren't even allowed to apply until you turn 17, and then it takes weeks to fill out the application, and then a couple of months before it gets through all the bureaucracy at the MACUSA HQ. And then several more weeks for the officials to look through it and make a decision about whether or not to even meet with the applicant for the next part... You get the idea.

But, Professor Sayre seems to be extremely helpful when it comes to any Transfiguration-based endeavors. She always seems to be complaining about "the Bureaucracy" and how long it takes to get permission for any research projects and such.

I'm not sure how Shilah Yiska College turns out so many Animagi. Maybe MACUSA gives them a way to Fastpass the red tape since they're Natives, or maybe they just don't give a crap and ignore any of those laws that stop them from practicing their traditions. Beats me. But they definitely have a fair few student Animagi every year.

At Ilvermorny, though, it's really hard to do, but even so, they're not unheard of.