The Ilvermorny Sonorus

In the fall of 1867, a handful of bright, inquisitive students from Thunderbird and Horned Serpent somehow managed to convince the staff of Ilvermorny to allow a school newspaper to be created

In the fall of 1867, a handful of bright, inquisitive students from Thunderbird and Horned Serpent somehow managed to convince the staff of Ilvermorny to allow a school newspaper to be created. One of the students' parents had an old broken printing press that they were willing to donate to the cause. They brought the press into an old, empty classroom in the South Wing of the castle, and over a few weeks, they cleaned out the room and repaired and enchanted the press. Thus, The Ilvermorny Sonorus was born. The future Pulitzer Prize-winning writer, Ernest Hemingway, was one famous alumnus. When he was just 12 years old, a teacher took notice of his amazing gift as a writer and she recommended that he work for the school newspaper. He accepted. By the time he was 14, he was already working as a journalist.

Currently, a 17-year-old seventh-year advisor (often more than one) acts as the editor of the newspaper and "adult" supervision. Therefore, teachers are not compelled to interfere with the Sonorus unless it somehow abuses its privileges. Students are allowed to join the editorial squad at any age, though most often, fourth years and above actually get to report, while the newest member will still be learning the ropes and work more "behind the scenes", such as running the enchanted press itself. The Sonorus is delivered weekly in large bundles to each House's common room and the staff housing by owl.

Articles in the Sonorus:

Current Events

No-Maj News

Sports

Staff Member of the Week

Advice Columns (General, Classes, Relationships, etc)

Inter-House Competition updates

Student polls

Student/Staff Highlights

The Charm of the Week