The Seven Gates

As the outer wall of Ilvermorny Castle was built, seven gates were put in to allow access to various things on the grounds of Ilvermorny

As the outer wall of Ilvermorny Castle was built, seven gates were put in to allow access to various things on the grounds of Ilvermorny. Going counter-clockwise, they are:

The Main Gate - The only gate on the East Wall of the castle, the Main Gate is, as the name suggests, the main one that students, staff, and visitors use to enter Ilvermorny Castle. A cobblestone path leads from it to the Entrance Portals to Adams. It's located at the Massachusetts War Veterans Memorial Tower. Also called the East Gate. Many also call it the AT Gate, because there is a path that leads to the famed Appalachian Trail. Students are allowed to hike a portion of it for exercise.

The Lake Gate - The Lake Gate sits directly in the center of the North Wall. The switchback paths lead down to the Shrouded Lake and Thunderbird Village. There are other paths to the Lake, but the one from the Lake Gate is the most direct.

The Quidditch Gate - Occupying the short diagonal Northwest Wall, the Quidditch Gate leads to the field on the other side of the mountain peak used for Quodpot, Quidditch, and similar broomstick sports.

The West Gate - The West Gate leads directly into the forest. There are several paths made entirely by plants being trodden on by tens of thousands of pairs of feet, but there are no official roads to follow. There are many places to see in the forest, but students are warned that there are also a great many dangerous and Dark creatures in the forest, so leaving the paths is generally advised against. The Black Forest is strictly off-limits, as it is extremely dangerous and host to a dark curse.

The Tower Gate: The Tower Gate, located on the Southwest Wall, is called so because it leads to the legendary Thirteenth Tower. This is a popular place to visit during the day, as the view from the top is extraordinary, but there are ghost stories told by older students to the first years as a part of their Initiation (please note that this portion of Initiation is not a part of the required Initiation Ceremony and is not endorsed by the staff of Ilvermorny. This is merely a part of the tradition that has been developed by the students). Be it said that although most of these stories are simply myths, students are told to stay away from the Tower from dusk until dawn.

The Pukwudgie Gate - The Pukwudgie Gate is one of two gates on the South Wall, and the only gate to stay shut the majority of the time. It opens every evening just before sunset to allow the Pukwudgies that work at the castle to return home. However, it also opens for those who wish to visit the cemetery that the path also leads to. A common time to do this is on Dia de Los Muertos, and if someone has a relative who had passed, their death or birthday. A small trail leads to Sayre Falls, a beautiful waterfall where students and teachers can go swimming.

The River Gate - The River Gate is the eastern gate on the South Wall. It leads to the river in which it is said that Isolt Sayre first met the Horned Serpent. During many histories and magical creature classes, students are taken to the river and told the story, but of course, the Horned Serpent has not been seen since Isolt.