Ilvermorny House Ghosts

There are plenty of ghosts in the Ilvermorny Castle and the surrounding grounds, all with varying degrees of helpfulness (some will give directions or advice, others moan unceasingly in empty rooms, others mind their own business, and a few make it their goal to terrify at least one student a day). Supposedly, the Thirteenth Tower is haunted by evil, or at least mischievous, spirits of every kind - human ghosts, poltergeists, Will-o'-the-wisps. Meanwhile, it is confirmed that the ancient but wise and generous spirits of many who died in or near Ilvermorny occasionally materialize around Petonowit's Willow.

That said, there aren't exactly "House ghosts", per se, or at least not official ones. There are definitely a few who prefer certain students or a type of student over others (sometimes based around their House), and a few who linger nearer to one common room than they do to any other part of the castle. Most ghosts are helpful in some way, whether inherently or by bribery/common interest. However, some are known to refuse help and even impede students from a certain House entirely because of something they experienced in life. So, no official House ghosts, but many ghosts certainly align themselves with a certain House (many cheer during Quodpot and Quidditch games and other competitions).

Wampus: Cala Maloon (The Lioness)
Born in 1841 into an African-American No-Maj family from South Carolina which was enslaved before the Civil War. One night in 1852, while the family slept, an Ilvermorny faculty member showed up and he explained to them the situation. The faculty member walked into the plantation then Obliviated everyone and freed Cala, her family, and the rest of the slaves on the plantation. When she attended Ilvermorny, she was sorted into Wampus. After her school career, she returned to the South and helped free slaves during the war and died without anyone catching her assisting No-Majs. Her ghost now resides at Ilvermorny as the Wampus house ghost, where she acts as an empowering mother figure to her house's students.

Horned Serpent: Petrus Lale (The Judge)
In his life, he was a judge for MACUSA living during the American Revolution in New York City, and Headmaster at Ilvermorny for a short time. Studying at Ilvermorny in his youth and being sorted into Horned Serpent. His ambitions were to be a congress member of MACUSA and eventually rise to run for President. But before he could achieve these goals he was killed by a family member of a wizard he was sentenced to prison for life. He now haunts Ilvermorny willing to debate with any student or staff but also willing to help with students' studies. He's usually seen in the library, mostly through the magical law and history sections.

Pukwudgie: Jonathan Caldwell (The Clergyman)
Hailing from Ferbane, Co. Offaly, Ireland, Jonathan Caldwell came to America just before the American Revolution broke out as a young boy, settling in Williamsburg, Virginia. After his schooling at Ilvermorny, he started a church specifically for witches and wizards. The church, based in Virginia, soon became popular among Virginian wizards and witches. Caldwell soon expanded his churches to other colonies and, eventually, his descendants moved them to some states. After his death, his spirit returned to Ilvermorny, where he remains kind and loyal to the faith.

Thunderbird: Verity Wetherell (The Leviathan)
A former Thunderbird student and Quidditch player from Luverne, Minnesota, she was the first American woman ever to fly across all 48 states on a broomstick, as well as the first American to fly across the Atlantic and back, using the broom "The Leviathan" to achieve this feat. The witch then soon rose to great celebrity status with many broom companies offering her to be their sponsor. Yet she stayed true to herself not allowing the fame to go to her head and whenever asked which broom does she recommend she always responded: "I stick with my Leviathan". Her spirit now tells eager Thunderbird students about her journeys across the world.

Ilvermorny House Ghosts

 Unlike at her sister school across the ocean, Ilvermorny does not technically have House ghosts, per se. However, Ilvermorny is yet commonplace in North America for spirits to return to after their deaths, if only because witch or wizard retains their loyalties to the school, and more often than not, to their Houses as well.

Although there are no designated spectral mascots for the Houses like those at Hogwarts, many ghosts are strong supporters of their own Houses. They will root for their teams during competitions, and some have a distinct dislike for those of a particular other House. They constitute a significant part of the competitiveness between Houses at Ilvermorny and do their best to create a healthy environment for this competition to thrive.