Professor Agilbert Fontaine

Agilbert Nolan Fontaine was born on April 22, 1942, in Bar Harbor, Maine, which is located on the edge of Acadia National Park

Agilbert Nolan Fontaine was born on April 22, 1942, in Bar Harbor, Maine, which is located on the edge of Acadia National Park. He attended Ilvermorny from 1953 to 1961 and was given the opportunity to join both the Horned Serpent and Wampus houses, but he ultimately chose Wampus because he found the girls there more attractive. Agilbert had a love for the outdoors from a young age and spent his summers in Maine exploring Acadia National Park through activities such as hiking, sailing, birdwatching, hunting with his father, and fishing. He graduated from Ilvermorny with high honors and had a great-great-grandfather, Theseus Fontaine, who fought in the American Civil War under the No-Maj Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain. Theseus concealed his magical heritage and participated in battles such as Fredericksburg, Little Round Top at Gettysburg, Spotsylvania Court House, Five Forks, and the Siege of Petersburg. He lived through the entirety of the war before passing away in 1912.

Although he enjoyed playing Quidditch, his passion for baseball surpassed it. He excelled in every position except for pitcher and avidly followed his childhood team, the Boston Red Sox. At Ilvermorny, he hit over 100 home runs and became Wampus's top home run hitter, catching the attention of amateur scouts. However, Fontaine eventually transferred to the Toronto Academy of Enchantments and Runecraft in Canada. After graduating as a certified Enchanter, he returned to the US and applied for a position at MACUSA. He was accepted and initially worked as a Curse-Identifier in the Auror Division. Fontaine credits his work ethic, expertise, and "natural charisma and masculine charm" for winning the heart of the Head Auror, which helped him climb the ranks to become the Head Curse-Breaker for the Aurors. In the 1970s, he played a key role in establishing the American equivalent of England's Order of the Phoenix, known as the Order of the Thunderbird (or TOOTT).

After finding his previous job "tedious and boring," he decided to resign and pursue his passion for Nordic Runecraft by traveling around northern Europe to study it and other similar arts. Upon his return to America, he was offered a much better position as Head of Enchantments by MACUSA, which he accepted. However, after only three years, he received an application request from Albus Dumbledore, the Supreme Mugwump of the International Confederation of Wizards. Fontaine submitted his application and was accepted, leading to a close friendship between him and Dumbledore. Seven years later, Fontaine became a High Mugwump, which came with more responsibilities than he could handle alongside his role as Head of Enchantments, so he left MACUSA. Fortunately, the opportunity to teach Nordic Runecraft at Ilvermorny arose, which was a more manageable option for him.

With his exceptional skill in Enchantments, he rose to become the Head of the Enchantments Department while still pursuing his passion for Nordic Runecraft. He also served as Deputy Headmaster and was in charge of Wampus House under Alister Breckenridge. After Breckenridge's retirement in 1991, he was appointed as the new Headmaster of Ilvermorny. He attended Albus Dumbledore's funeral and even gave a speech. In 1998, Fontaine and the Order of the Thunderbird journeyed to England to help their British allies during the Battle of Hogwarts. In 2001, he appointed Professor Emaline Goode as the new Deputy Headmaster, who, at 24 years old, became the youngest teacher in the school's history. He was widely recognized for his modernization of Ilvermorny School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, which included the implementation of new regulations to safeguard the LGBTQ+ community, the abolition of the rule that restricted students from leaving their wands at school until the age of 17, and the admission of students from Central America and the Caribbean, among other changes, as the school entered the new millennium.

Professor Fontaine is highly regarded for his extensive work in Enchantments and Runecraft, earning him the title of North American Grandmaster of Enchantments from the International Confederation of Wizards. When he's not working, he enjoys outdoor activities like hunting, fishing, and hiking in Acadia National Park. He also has a passion for cooking and is a big fan of jazz and classical music, as well as the Boston Red Sox. Professor Fontaine resides in his hometown of Bar Harbor, Maine with his wife and school sweetheart, Margaret. He is a proud parent of three children and seven grandchildren, and he also happens to be a direct descendant of Theodard Fontaine, one of MACUSA's original twelve Aurors. It is truly an honor to have Professor Fontaine as our headmaster.