The Tunnels

Somewhere hidden in the castle are thousands of miles of tunnels, created over 300 years ago by the Boot brothers and James Steward

Somewhere hidden in the castle are thousands of miles of tunnels, created over 300 years ago by the Boot brothers and James Steward. It is estimated that there are around 350 tunnels, but no one knows for sure. Many of them remain undiscovered and waiting to be found. You are welcome to explore as much as you like, and if you discover any new tunnels, please let us know. We might even award you extra points. These ancient tunnels can take you almost anywhere in the school, and some are so long that it could take you days to explore them. Students use them mainly to get to class more quickly. One tunnel runs beneath the mountain and can take you to Adams and Steward Square. Some tunnels have been discovered, but they are classified as "unplottable". Most of them have been found by Thunderbird students. They are very dark, so be sure to bring your wand with you, or you may get lost. You can also use Disspelling Torches if needed. The tunnels can be very cold, maintaining a constant temperature of 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Some tunnels are forbidden to enter because they are dangerous, and some are haunted. These tunnels are one of the many reasons why Ilvermorny remains one of the most mysterious and enigmatic wizarding schools in the world.