Recipe for Maple Cream Soda

Hogwarts is famous for its Butterbeer but Ilvermorny is famous for its Maple Cream Soda, made with maple syrup straight from New Hampshire

Hogwarts is famous for its Butterbeer but Ilvermorny is famous for its Maple Cream Soda, made with maple syrup straight from New Hampshire. Butterbeer is also enjoyed at Ilvermorny at the Bascom Lodge, which is literally right next to the school but Sucre-Bleu's maple cream soda is probably the most popular drink at Ilvermorny. Students also enjoy making their own maple cream soda in the common rooms, in an attempt to imitate Sucre-Bleu's recipe. With special permission, we asked Adeline Sucrese, the owner of Sucre-Bleu, to give us her famous secret recipe. 

Ingredients

1. 1 cup New Hampshire maple syrup (Grade A or B)
2. 1/2 cup of water
3. 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped out (vanilla extract works too)
4.  1 2-inch wide slice of lemon rind (not the white pith)
5. 1 teaspoon vanilla paste

Directions 

1.  Add the maple syrup, the vanilla bean seeds, lemon, vanilla paste, and water to a saucepan bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium, and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, cover, and let sit until the syrup cools to room temperature. To store, pour it into a lidded jar including the vanilla bean, and remove the lemon rind. Refrigerate. I recommend letting it sit overnight before using it as the vanilla and maple will meld producing a more intense flavor.

2. To make the soda, add 2- 3 tbs maple/vanilla syrup to an 8 oz glass, add seltzer or club soda, ice cubes and enjoy. This is great as an ice cream float, add a scoop of vanilla ice cream. You can adjust the amount of syrup to suit your taste.