Wanderlust Days

"These all died in faith, not having received the things promised, but having seen them and greeted them from afar, and having acknowledged that they were strangers and exiles on the earth

"These all died in faith, not having received the things promised, but having seen them and greeted them from afar, and having acknowledged that they were strangers and exiles on the earth. People who speak thus make it clear that they are seeking a homeland. If they had been thinking of that land from which they had gone out, they would have had the opportunity to return. But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one."
- Hebrew 11:13-16 (ESV)

At Ilvermorny School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, the Wanderlust Days are a special tradition. During one week of each semester, Thunderbird students are permitted to travel anywhere they wish. They can choose to visit the forest, the desert, the mountains, a national park, Steward Square, hike on the Appalachian Trail, go to the city, the country, or even return home. The idea of Wanderlust Days originated from the shared trait among Thunderbird students - a longing for adventure. However, Thunderbird is a diverse community, and students have various reasons for their wanderlust. Many Thunderbirds go on to become adventurers, and the staff has observed that some struggle with maintaining focus.

Currently, weekend trips to Adams are not counted as absentee days for students. Instead, they are considered excused days that can be "redeemed" through the Headmaster at any point during the academic year. However, these 4 weeks cannot be taken consecutively and must be used within the designated semester. It is not allowed to move them to all 12 weeks in one semester. To facilitate transportation, all students will be provided with a Portkey.

Attention Thunderbird students in years 1-4: Please note that during Wanderlust days, you must be accompanied by either an older Thunderbird student, an Ilvermorny teacher, or a MACUSA official. Students in years 5 through 7 are permitted to explore in groups of at least two students without a chaperone, but they must adhere to all school, local, and government regulations. Any violations will result in appropriate consequences. Severe violations may result in the loss of remaining Wanderlust days for that year or all Wanderlust days for the following year.