Events @willowwhisps

Ilvermorny has many wonderful traditions and events that they have attained over the past 3-and-a-half centuries, some dating back to Ilvermorny's beginnings. Some are planned by the Student Council.

Salem Memorial Day: Every year on the day the Salem Witch Trials ended, the whole school holds a memorial in honor of the witches and wizards, and innocent No-Majs executed in the Salem Witch Trials, one of the greatest travesties of justice in American History. Students and staff are required to wear black to the memorial service. This day is considered very spiritual and emotional for many staff and students.

Isolt Sayre Memorial Day (November 9th): Every year on the anniversary of Isolt's death, all the students and staff hold a memorial service at their grave to honor and mourn her. The grave is located somewhere deep in the forest. The students and staff lead a procession to her grave by the Headmaster. William the Pukwudgie places mayflowers at her grave. Words and speeches are said to commemorate her and all of the work she has done during her time as founder and Headmistress. Everyone present then raises their wands in salute. All students are required to wear their full uniforms during the memorial service. The students then enjoy a delicious feast at dinner. The school holds similar memorial services for James, Chadwick, and Webster but they aren't as big as the one for Isolt. 

Founder's Birthday: On each of the founders' birthdays, there is a big celebration and feast to celebrate them. Stories of their adventures are told to honor them. On James' birthday, there's a bake-off among the houses for the best cranberry pie. Usually, it's won by Pukwudgie. One year, Thunderbird won and an enormous riot took place between the two houses. On Isolt's birthday, a game of hurling is played, an ancient sport from Ireland introduced by her to the school when she arrived in America in 1620.

Moon holidays: Wolf Moon, Worm Moon, Flower Moon, Strawberry Moon, Corn Moon, Hunter's Moon, and Beaver Moon are special moon holidays in America that date back to the Algonquian tribes.

Orientation Week (First week of school): During the first week of school, First-years have time to adjust and acclimate to life at Ilvermorny. The rules are a little more relaxed and lenient for first-years only such as being able to be late to class a little more without fear of consequences, not getting in trouble for breaking the rules, etc. First-years can take this opportunity to ask questions, get advice from older students, etc. An older student is usually assigned to show the first years in their respective houses around Ilvermorny and act as their guides while they acclimate during Orientation Week. As a treat, all first-years do not receive any homework all week long. Orientation week is also viewed as a spirit week with students from each house repping their house's mascots and promoting their house to the new students. This is usually done in cases in which students are accepted into multiple houses and have to choose which house to be in. Parents are welcome to attend student orientation with their children, and No-Maj parents are especially encouraged to do so. A guest wing of the castle offers overnight boarding.

School Spirit Week: Students show their school spirit for an entire week. There is an activity every day during lunch such as students dressing in school and/or house colors, dressing in clothing of their favorite sports team (Magical or non-Magical), wearing hats, funny costumes, pajamas all day, etc. Quidditch and Quodpot matches are even more popular during School Spirit Week. It's also a competition; the house that shows the most school spirit at the end of the week will receive a special prize and/or special privileges.

Beginning Of The Year BBQ: On the third day of school (A day off), students of every year and every house come together at Windsor Lake Park in North Adams for the beginning of the year party. This is the first of the many ways that students from all four houses can come together and interact with each other and warmly and officially welcome the first years to their new school. Students get to play games including baseball, football, and soccer, go swimming, hold contests, eat food, go fishing, play Quidditch, and do other things.

Activity Fair: Every year on the third week after school starts, the school hosts an Activity Fair to show all the students all the clubs and extra-curricular activities Ilvermorny has to offer and to encourage students to participate in clubs and extracurricular activities.

Pet Day: Students can bring their pets to classes only one day a year. They can't be dangerous, uncontrollable, or if another student is allergic to them. Students must be able to control their pets at all times during classes and pets may be removed if they are being disruptive during class, too uncontrollable, or dangerous.

School Picnic: The school holds a picnic towards the end of the year where students eat barbecue, listen to music, play games, play baseball, visit Sayre Falls, and go swimming. The food is prepared in the kitchen and is served outside. Students can bring blankets and towels to sit on. The picnic is usually held in the school courtyard.

Workshops: The school has workshops every so often which benefit the students. The workshops are mainly focused on a particular topic or subject such as Charms or Transfiguration. The workshops are optional and only students that need or want to be there can come. A particular workshop may be canceled if not enough or any students sign up.

Fairs, Festivals, and Carnivals: The school holds fairs, festivals, and school carnivals for a variety of reasons such as to raise money and have fun. There is a wide assortment of music, food, games, and activities. These fairs, festivals, and carnivals are all open to the public.

Book Sales: Students can sell their old or used books and make money off of them. Dragots and American No-Maj money are both accepted. Students are prohibited and unable to sell school textbooks unless it's from another year than what grade they're in at present.

Donation Drives: The school rarely puts on donation drives to raise money for a particular charity or cause such as helping magical creatures, homeless witches and wizards, etc. The Donation Drives are open to the public and provide food and music to the guests. Everyone in attendance, even students and staff are encouraged to donate. Only Dragots and American No-Maj money are accepted.

Students vs Teachers games: The school holds games in which the best students of each house unite as one all-star team and take on the teachers. There's a Quidditch game held in the winter and the spring, A baseball game held during the World Series, and a Quodpot match held on the Fourth Of July.