Log. 52: Friends and Foes

—First life. St. Vincent's Hospital, year 2027—

Everything was a complete blur that night.

The sight of Jimin fainting right before my eyes and my screams for help still felt unreal. It still felt like I was dreaming and I was watching from far away as the nurses and the resident doctor came in to aid him. I barely remembered how I got back into my room, as the shock and the exhaustion from my late-night trip had also gotten me attached to a ventilator system by the end of all that drama so I could breathe easier. I almost didn't remember having an attack, even if it felt like my whole chest was crushed by a loaded truck when I failed to breathe.

When I woke up two days after, as I found myself with a breathing mask covering my face, lying on the bed inside the ICU instead of my regular room, and finding my pissed off brother standing on the side of my bed, I knew that none of it was a dream.

"________," Hoseok quickly rushed to my side when I tried to move and reaching up to pull the mask away. A few grunts escaped me when I tried to speak. "______, don't!"

I stopped, looking at him with wide eyes. "What the hell were you thinking?" he began chastising me, his voice breaking down the more he spoke. "You should have known better than making a whole trip down the halls with your condition and without any observation. What were you trying to do?"

My hand fell to my side.

I wanted to ask him about what had happened. I wanted to ask about Jimin and how they had found me. But mostly, as I looked into his red-rimmed eyes, I wanted to apologise for making him worried. He had been swamped with cases to deal with in his office and for him to leave his work for me had only meant that things had gotten serious.

Hoseok reached for my hand and gripped tightly. "Don't you ever do that to me again. You hear me?" I could not say anything with the mask on, so I did the next best thing and nodded my head. I had to shut my eyes when the small movement made my head spin.

"I know you're worried about Jimin," he added, surprising me when he brought him up before I could say anything. "But for now, let's focus on you first. Take a good rest and recover so we can find out what happened, okay?"

Blinking away the tears in my eyes, I nodded my head once again. My head spun, and this time, I no longer fought it as I fell back to my long sleep.

It did not take only hours for me to wake up and recover as if nothing had happened, but days. I could not even process what day it was when they replaced my breathing mask with a smaller tube and cut me off from half of the machines they had activated since the night I was placed in the intensive care unit. All I knew was that I felt like a new person after having the longest sleep in my life, and even better when I found Jimin waiting next to me when I woke up.