Log. 48: Promises

—First life. St. Vincent's Hospital, year 2027—

Perhaps I should have known better than to let my hopes up.

I should have known that my life would never be so easy no matter how hard I tried. It had been years since I had anything good in my life, as if the whole universe was trying to conspire against me. And once again, it refused to give me what I wanted to have the most.

The next day, I spent the whole day with the doctor. There was no test run, but I was presented with the results of my tests and my X-rays, being shown how my illness was progressing. The only test I had was with my therapist, where she laid me down on the treatment bed in her clinic on the top floor, and she instructed me to move on my own.

I had no problem with being active without help as long as I was in bed. I was able to roll on my sides, back and forth, without a problem. I could sit on my own, push myself off the bed, and even though it was exhausting and I ended up completely out of breath, I was able to perform all the morning exercises the therapist had always made me do without any assistance. I could also handle some weight, something that I had knowledge of but still had to show her since I could not possibly tell her about my late-night make-out sessions with Jimin.

The only problem I had was walking.

Taking the few steps off the bed and off a chair was something that I could manage to do, and I have done this every day when I had to go to the bathroom by myself.

But it was different when I was told to walk around the room all by myself, without help, without any tools to keep myself up, and just after walking two rounds across the room, it felt as if my body was about to break into pieces.

"The doctor was right, although you are ready to be sent home, you won't be able to handle too much physical exertion," my therapist said to me once I was seated back on the wheelchair that was used to send me here.

At first, I only accepted its presence due to the hospital's regulations which said that patients could only be transferred on wheelchairs or a gurney. Now, I had no choice but to admit that I might actually need it after all.

"So I guess that's no more going on dates or bar hopping for me, huh?" I joked with her, even though I also meant it to find out if that was a sign that I had to say goodbye to any chance of normalcy in life.

Not that I had any tendency of partying all night. I just thought it would be lovely to have one night, a normal night, where I could walk out in the city with Jimin, hand in hand as we finally had a normal date night that didn't require sneaking around and nearly breaking the hospital bed right after.

"Definitely no bar-hopping for you," she said with a grin. "I'm just saying that the hospital will only release you with a note and a warning that you will have somebody to tend for all your needs. I know that you live with your brother, so that's a plus, knowing that he can take care of you. But I'm going to give you a referral for a standby nurse, just in case. You will also need to do all the exercises I gave you while you are off the hospital and you might going to need help on that from someone who has been properly trained to assist you."