Log.5: Covetous

—Jeon Residence, year 2026—

It had been five days.

I kept waking up having such low energy running through my body, with sore muscles and painful joints on every part of me that I had to struggle to move around. I woke up late again one morning, groaning at my own body weight and the soreness covering half of my body.

The sun was up, already high and burning hot in the sky. And with that, I knew it was almost noon. I cursed under my breath, pushing myself off of the bed and struggling to reach the bathroom and get ready to start my day.

I went downstairs right after, clutching my laptop and some paperworks under one of my arms while I rubbed my painful back with my free hand. The house was quiet. Jungkook had undoubtedly left the house early in the morning for work, so I didn't question the silence that welcomed me. Realising how much time I had lost earlier in the day, I decided to get settled right away on the dining table, spreading my work with a plate of meal which I made hastily for a quick lunch.

I spent the rest of the day working in the dining room, completely lost track of time. Not because I was too focused on the work I was doing, but because I had a hard time to concentrate on anything at all. I could not sit still due to the pain lingering on my back and the headache that would not go away even after I took some pills to cure it. Yet I tried my best to finish all I could as to not linger on the way my body was acting up.

It was finally the end of the day when I leaned back on my seat to rest. I already had the laptop shut off when the sound of my phone ringing disturbed the silence.

"Yes, hello?" I picked it up after the third ring, only realizing then the dryness of my throat the minute I heard my own voice speaking.

"What the fuck happened to you?" The voice on the other side of the line snapped at me. I couldn't tell who it was at first and I didn't bother to check on the phone screen to see the name it was showing.

"What? Who is this?"

"Who do you think? God, why don't you ever check on the caller ID before picking up? What if I'm some stranger trying to scam you, huh?"

"Oh—" was all I could say when I finally recognised his voice. "Sorry, Yoongi," I said to him, smiling to myself. He might be a bit blunt, but he sure knew how to call me out on my recklessness. "I, uh—had my mind on other things earlier, so—"

"Is something wrong? Are you okay?"

"Oh, uhm—I haven't been feeling well the last few days, and I'm feeling really down today." I gave a little massage on my temple to ease the throbbing headache that was starting to come back, wanting nothing more than to go back to my bed and lie down.

"Really? Right—you don't sound too well, either," he said to me in his monotonous tone of voice that I have gotten used to know, before I heard him letting out a sigh. "I guess that explains why."