Log. 59: Torrent

—First life. St. Vincent's Hospital, year 2027—

"Are you sure you will be okay with this?"

I tilted my head as I waited for his answer. Jimin merely gave me a meek smile, his eyes were drooping lazily as he returned my gaze. Funny how the situation had turned around. When only a few weeks ago, he was the one who first came into my room, asking for my permission to join me in my bed. Tonight, I was the one waiting for him to invite me in, while he was the one who needed the companion.

"I'm sure," he whispered softly with his voice sounding low and hoarse, as if he needed everything in him just to get those words out of his lips. "In fact, I'm sure you will only make it better," he chuckled lightly as he patted the side of the bed.

I looked away, following his dainty hand, thin and sickly pale that it almost matched the colour of his linen sheets. The sight nearly broke me down that I had to close my eyes before I could look into his eyes again. Just as our gazes met, he must have seen the hesitance building up inside me, because he slowly began to shift on the bed and scoot backwards, leaving a small space beside him just enough for me to squeeze in.

His movement was careful, doing his best to shift around under the restraint of the infusion tubes attached to his arm. Settling on his side as he waited for me to climb on top of the bed, I could hear him breathing heavily, letting me know just how much that subtle move had already drained enough of his energy.

"Come here," he said, patting the empty side of the bed once again to beckon me close. "Don't worry, they change the sheets every time they have a chance to."

I gave him a light scoff, chuckling softly on his effort to make a light joke. As if I had to be reminded of the hospital's routines when I had to endure and witness all the same thing as well. Jimin's eyes kept forcing themselves to close, yet he was persistent, holding back from dozing off just to make sure he would see me come to bed with him. So I gave in. With a sigh, I set up the IV stand that I had dragged along with me all the way from my room to be next to his bed, before I crawled on top of it. It was a struggle to climb up, as I had to maneuver everything from locking my wheelchair in place, to pushing myself up and onto the bed. My flimsy pyjamas kept getting in the way while my stiff back made it hard for me to move easily. I was glad to have taken enough painkillers to numb down the pain, even if it was just a tad, or else I wouldn't even be able to move at all with how strained my spine had become for the past few weeks.

"Be careful," Jimin whispered when I let out a hiss the moment I pulled my legs up. I responded only with a smile and a soft murmur of, "I'm okay," as I held back the pain and settled down beside him, trying not to make him too worried about me when he already had too much to deal with in his current condition. It took me a while, with careful shifts and turns, before I finally managed to lie down next to him.