Log.20: Ephemeral

—First life. Mercy Hospital, year 2018—

I could hear someone screaming.

It sounded distant, but the voice was loud and clear, screeching through the air.

Was it me? Was it my voice? Why could I not recognise it?

There was a blurry sight of somebody looking down at me before disappearing from my sight. Or was it me who disappeared when my head started aching in pain?

There were blinding lights and faded sound of sirens, followed by rushed voices of people around me, all speaking at once in strained voices.

I could feel myself being lifted off the ground, followed by gentled touches of someone putting things around my body. Pain. There was so much pain. And it was everywhere—they were in my head, my body, my—

What happened? I could not open my eyes. But as I felt my body being tied down onto something and everything around me started shaking, I used everything I had and forced my eyes to open.

The view I was seeing when I did was all blurry and all I could see was white fog. Someone came into my view when I blinked. I could not make out their face even when she spoke, "Hello, ____? We are on our way to the hospital. You are going to be okay. Can you feel where it hurts most?"

The blinding white light caused my eyes to hurt and I had to shut them. "I don't—know," I groaned while trying to focus. There was too much pain, and I felt it hurting all over my body, especially—

"My baby," I gasped and snapped my eyes open, immediately flinching as the pain on my body surged through with the sudden movement and the tension I felt. And it was then when I noticed that I was wearing a neck brace, rendering me immobile as I was being kept lying down. "I have—a baby. I'm—"

The female medic placed her hand over my arm and smiled to me gently. "We know, sweetheart. That's why we are rushing you to the emergency unit so we can take a look at it and make sure you are both safe. Your boyfriend already told us. He's following us behind with his own car."

"Boy—friend?" I suddenly felt dizzy, and the pain in my body started to increase. I could no longer fight it when everything suddenly went dark.

I was in and out of consciousness. But I could feel as if my body was moving in speed, slightly shaking as I was moved yet was still restricted of movements as if I was being tied down onto something. My blurry eyes caught the bright lights above me each time I tried to open them. But I kept losing my energy, and I was kept being pulled into the dark with each throbbing pain before I could process where I was.

I heard voices as I slowly came to. There were people screaming and crying around me. I could not see who it was but I was still able to listen.

Someone was fighting somewhere close. I could even catch a few rushed movements happening around me from the corner of my heavy eyes.