Log.28: Intermission

First life. St. Vincent's Hospital, year 2027—

"Oh, God," I winced in pain as I tried to step out of my car.

An excruciating pain surged through my whole spine the second my leg landed on the ground and I tried to balance my weight. I was grateful enough that I had decided to wear soft flats today instead of heels—although I have stopped wearing heels for quite some time already—that I was able to keep my balance pretty quickly and stop myself from falling to the ground. I still had to stop moving briefly, holding onto the side of my car as I took long deep breaths while trying to push the pain away.

"Why is it so goddamn painful?" I groaned, planting my face on my crossed arms to stop myself from crying. I recovered after a few minutes of leaning onto the car. And the moment the throbbing pain was starting to lessen, I pushed myself away to continue walking forward into the hospital.

It had been a while. And I was not here for treatments. During the end of the year, I had been enduring self-treatments at home. Which then became the reason why I had to come here today, since I have run out of medicines and I had decided to retrieve it myself just in case I could have a chance to see my doctor.

I spent almost one hour at the hospital, going back and forth to the pharmacy, almost falling asleep in the process when the calm atmosphere in the waiting lobby managed to lull me to sleep. "Is Dr. Kim available?" I asked the receptionist right after I left the pharmacy with the medications and medical files I needed all secured inside my handbag.

The lady behind the desk looked over at her computer before she reached for her desk phone. I let myself busy by glancing at the clock that was hung on the wall behind her.

Is he still on break? I wondered, impatiently tapping my fingers on the counter when I realised what time it was. I had expected to be able to see him before his break, if only I didn't have to waste too much time handling my medical prescriptions and all the hassle that followed.

The lady put her phone down after making a quick call to reach the doctor. Yet right before she managed to say anything, I heard his voice calling me from behind.

"Mrs. Jeon—Oh, I mean—_____, didn't expect to see you here today," he said as I turned to see him.

"Dr. Kim, I was just asking for you," I told him while offering a smile.

"Oh?" he raised his eyebrows. "You're here to see me? Do we have an appointment today?" he looked down to pull out his phone from his pocket, looking for his schedule to make sure before I stopped him—

"No, actually—I was here to retrieve new medications," I informed him, which had him instantly relaxing for a moment. "I was just wondering if I could see you while I'm here, that's all. I thought I had missed you since your hour has ended."