Log.13: Choices

—Present life, year 2015—

They had warned me about the struggles I had to face against the illness, against the demons that were growing inside my body. But thankfully, I was in good condition at the moment of the surgery. In addition to how early it was found, I was able to beat them almost completely through the first surgery. I had even survived the second one which took place months after.

The recovery process, however, was a pain in the butt.

Not to mention the long list of the procedures I had to endure to thoroughly clear those demons out of my system.

I hated chemotherapy. I hated what they did to my body. But at least I got to skip the radiation process, which sounded more terrifying to go through than the other ones.

But that was only because it would not be the first time I had to endure that process. There was a part of my brain that still remembered how it felt, even if my body itself had never experienced them—well, not in this lifetime, that is. Not yet.

Days, weeks, months passed by until the hospital gave me a green light, showing me the latest test results and radioscopic pictures showing me that there was no longer any tracks of masses found in me. Although that did not necessarily mean they had let me go without a warning, a long lecture of the one thing that would possibly happen to me unless I undergo a routine health check and follow up treatments every month. Everything that was necessary to make sure that I would not fall into a relapse.

Little did they knew how much I knew a thing or two about them.

That first year was rough. Having to face recovery while keeping up with school was a long and troublesome battle. Everyone insisted that I took a break from school until I got better, but I refused to take my time for granted, insisting to catch up with my study—which, to be honest, was hard but not impossible to do.

I was living in the body of the model student in school. And since my current brain still held the knowledge of my recent studying life—regardless of having the memory of an old housewife sealed in the back of my mind—I could still catch up with a lot of things. And thanks to the help of Taehyung and my other classmates who stayed by my side during my stay in the hospital with piles of school books and after-school lectures, I could still graduate at the same time as I did on my old life.

Which led me to the day I finally started the new step in my new life.

College freshman year.

I was standing in my new dorm room, staring out the window with my mind wandering back in time. Everything that had happened for the past few years came running through my head. Events regarding my journey against the illness had been hard and time felt like an eternity and never-ending when I had to go through all the hardship. But now when I have passed all of that, all of the things I went through seemed like a dream. Like glimpses of short movies. Yet thanks to the past hardship itself, I was able to push back all of the memories from my past life and seal them away momentarily, giving me a chance to focus on my current life, focus on getting better.