Eugene - Path continued (16)

"Alright everybody. We're splitting up into groups for this patrol. Who wants to leave the school?" Lawrence surveyed the home room.

Apparently, since it's been sometime since I last went on a patrol outside of the school, I need to carry my weight and go on this one. So Lawrence is already counting me for this one. Although last time I left the school grounds I screwed up my ankle.

"Ok Eugene and.." I heard Lawrence say, and I looked back over and Eugene had his hand up. He had a look of determination as he hadn't noticed me looking at him yet. It was cute.

He didn't want me to go alone. We really are inseparable.

In the end, it was Eugene, Lawrence, Sue and I.

∇∆

We all were a tight knit, quiet group. Sue was pretty resourceful. We ducked between stores and searched the streets that were vacant with life. Until we were starting to pass a pharmacy.

I thought of Harry, he told me his painkillers were running out. I really ought to repay him for all his kindness, just one quick stop would go a long way.

"Lawrence." I shout-whispered. We ducked into an alley and I caught his attention before we moved on. The smell was pretty awful, but I was used to it by now.

"Hm?" He responded.

"There's a pharmacy over there, I'm going to go check it out real quick. See if there's anything useful. I'll be right back-" I turned to leave but Lawrence caught my shoulder.

"No, you should go with someone.." Lawrence scanned the group we had.

"Eugene! Then.. I want to go with Eugene." I quickly said, then got shy about how excited I got. Nobody really knew we were together, intimately that is.

"Alright then." Lawrence raised an eyebrow at me, but let me go with Eugene.

As I headed into the Pharmacy, the little bell for the door rang. But it wasn't enough to cause any trouble. It smelt like a hospital, and the shelves were ransacked and nearly vacant. The ceiling was nearly caving in and the only light we had was the sunlight pouring through the window towards the front.

"Try to find some painkillers, they're for Harry." I uttered, my eyes darting around the place. As I took my first steps into the store, I heard my feet step on broken glass. It must be from the lights.

"Have you found anything?" I quietly asked, hearing him shake the bottles on the other isle.

"No." I heard him reply.

"..how about now?" I asked almost immediately after to annoy him.

"Still no." He slowly started to get impatient with me.

"Wait, Eugene I think I found something, come over here!" I called him over to my isle and by my side, cupping something in my hands.

As he come over to my isle, he slightly annoyed already to my delight, but I could tell he still had that same love for me in his eyes. I could hear his footsteps due to the crushing broken glass.

"What is it?" He looked down at me with his big brown eyes, expecting a something when instead I quickly shaped my hands into a heart.

His face heated up, "Your such a dummy." He stammered.

"At least I'm your dummy." I retorted, giggling.

"Doesn't make you any smarter." He sneered back at me, leaning into my face.

"Yeah, but it does mean I can do this." I said mischievously, and snaked my cold hands under his shirt. My cold fingertips against his skin and feeling his chest. Completely making him flustered.

"Jesus." He somehow managed to say. His face went red and he couldn't even make eye contact with me.

"Wow." I stifled a laugh again and started sorted through the pill bottles again. "It's so easy to make you flustered."

"Well it's like I've done this relationship thing very much." He spoke under his breath.

Suddenly, he grabbed my wrist with a death grip that made me jump a little. I looked up at his face and he was prettified with fear. His brown eyes terrified.

"Eugene..? What's wrong?" I questioned, suddenly a blunt object hit my lower back. Which caused the wind to get knocked out of me and I went straight to the ground. "Fuck!"

"You motherfuckers! This is my turf!" I masculine voice yelled out.

Eugene quickly pulled me by his side and I stumbled to my feet, scared straight still. Eugene held onto my arm with an iron grip and we both looked ahead at what was in front of us.

A Hefty man wielding a shotgun in one hand and a hammer in the other had strolled out from behind the corner. Then struck me with the butt of his gun.

"Fuckin' scavengers, trying to take my shit! This is my stuff! My home! You shits don't understand I need to provide!" He was furious, spitting with every word.

"We haven't taken anything from you. Please, just let us go." I spoke calmly and slowly.

"Bullshit you haven't!" The old man swung with the hammer and Eugene barely managed to pull me back in time for the swing to go wide and strike the empty shelves.

I clung to Eugene even closer, gripping his sweatshirt and desperately praying for a miracle.

"I suggest you-" I man stopped, stumbling with his words. He shut his mouth, almost as if he was going to vomit. but as he reopening it, blood spilled out. He looked down and his shirt began to stain with blood. He slumped over, shotgun falling to the floor. And there stood Lawrence. A sick smile across his face. As the man died, he went down and stabbed him with a shard of glass a couple of more times for good measure.

Sue rushed into the store after Lawrence, and stopped once she had seen the massacre. She held her hand up to her mouth so she wouldn't vomit. She looked at me with a knowing look, and I agreed. It had to be Lawrence.

None of us dared to say a word. We all just stared at him. Until we heard another set of footsteps. They both rushed to hiding places.

"Over there!" I shout whispered and quickly gripped Eugene's hand and  sprang to action. We jumped over the counter. We crouched and hid below it.

Eugene and I huddled closely together, I guess to conserve space but mostly because we were both terrified. Neither of us dared to say a word. I buried my face in his chest.

"Uncle?! Uncle!" The younger man wailed, lamenting, "I knew your mind was going out but I though we could have made it!" The younger man whispered to the dead one, "There's a safe zone uncle. I found a poster. Full of food and-and clothes-and... I'm so sorry..." The young man sat there, and cried for a while before dragging the body out. That's when we all slipped away.

Eugene and I both stared at each other with confusion and surprise. A safe zone?