Lawernce - Ending

I chose a random direction and ran, hearing hailey's blood curdling scream as she was torn to shreds.

I ran as fast as I could, I was on my own without anything to defend myself. Zombies started to pour into the school, windows smashing and doors collapsing.

I was running, when suddenly I almost crashed into something. I fought against it initially, but recognized it was human. I looked up and saw Lawrence. Usually, I would relax right now but we were still in mortal danger.

"Lawrence where were you? Did you do this? Why?!" I gasped for air between breaths.

"There's no time to explain." His face was stern, and he grabbed onto my wrist. His face darted to the left, where the was an audible smashing sound as they bust through another window. "We need to go."

He pulled me through a series of hallways, once he turned into a hallway only to be met with a horde, so we had to duck the other way. Then, we started racing down a flight of stairs into the basement.

"Do you have a key?!" I panicked, and Lawrence was fishing through his pockets.

"Of course I do! I have a skeleton key!" He needed to practically shout over the fire alarm and chaos. He pushed the key in and turned it, and we practically fell inside. Lawrence immediately turned around and locked it.

It was compete darkness, but it was quiet.

"Hun... Where are we?" The threat of immediate danger faded, I held my arms around myself. Lawrence flipped a switch, and suddenly there was light. Like electricity. I was speechless, I thought I would never witness electricity again. Lawrence smiled, happy that I was so impressed by the lights. "Lawrence.. what is this place?" I asked in a gentle voice and turned to him, I felt fragile.

It was was far from anything homey, the walls were cement, same with the floors. They were meant for storage or something, though the basement was actually a quite roomy place.

"Well. I've been filling this place up with food, water, electricity.. ever since you got here. I wanted it too be our new home." He turned to me, saying sweetly.

"But.. what about the safe zone? The others?" I questioned. He sighed.

"You were right. We don't need them. As long as they were around, we could never be." Lawrence came to me and held the sides of my arms as I crossed them.

"You wanted to kill them..?" My eyes got wide. How many people have we killed? How many more people have to die? There was something wrong about all of this.

Lawrence hesitated. "Yes. Yes I did."

My world started to spin, I got lightheaded. I was a murderer. I did this. I can't breathe.

"I don't think I can do this Lawrence." I pulled away from his grasp, and turned to the door. "I can't do this anymore Lawrence. There been so much bloodshed already. I can't keep living like this. I can't live with the fact that five more people are dead because I..." I looked at the doorknob.

"Please. Don't leave. Just think about what a wonderful new life we can have down here. This place has everything, and we'll always have each other. We don't need to hide anymore." He tried to persuade me.

I put my hand on the doorknob, my stomach felt sick. I was so close to leaving, yet my hand wouldn't turn the doorknob. My heart throbbed in my chest.

"You don't have anywhere else to go." He whispered to me. He was right. He was all I ever knew, all I wanted to know. I wouldn't go anywhere without him. I can't. I can't go.

"Lawrence!" I turned back around and collapsed in his arms, and he held me close. Tears started to pour out of my eyes. "Please just make me forget. I don't want to think about it anymore. I don't want to think about killing Sue anymore. Please just make it all better. Please. Make me forget."

Lawrence hugged me tighter, and kissed me on the forehead.

"We'll leave the world behind my dear. We don't have to worry about it hurting us anymore."

Days pass. Weeks pass. Months? Who even knows anymore.

Live in the bunker Lawrence made isn't half bad. He even got me a dog. It's wonderful, there's books, music, and running water. God bless his genius, the generator runs on solar panels. So there's nothing finite.

Eventually the government develops a cure for the disease, and we are unbothered by it until some soldiers find us living in the basement of the school.

We re-incorporate ourselves into society effortlessly as the world starts to recover. Even start a bakery like Lawrence always wanted.

"Hey Honey-wait up." Lawrence calls to me. We are now living in our government issued home, which they built to help the raising population. It was a nice little town we lived in now, it's almost like the apocalypse never happened inside this little bubble of life.

I was helping Lawrence chop up some ingredients in the kitchen, when I needed to go get something from my room. When I turned to leave he grabbed my hand and gently tugged me back to his side.

"I need to ask you something." He looked down to meet my gaze, pulling me into a hug.

"Of course. What is it dear?" I looked back up at him. He pulled away from the hug and pulled something out of his pocket, putting it on my finger. I looked closely, and saw it was a ring.

"I know there isn't exactly jewelry shops around anymore.. but I found someone selling these. I've always wanted to ask you, but I wanted to find a proper ring first." He was getting shy and starting to slur his words as he saw me take in the beauty of the ring. It was a beautiful diamond ring. His face was as red as a tomato. "Will you? Will you marry me?"

I smiled at him, "Yes. I would love too." I replied sweetly, gently kissing him.