Lawrence - Path continued (10)

I slept well, for the first time in forever. Usually I'm either too anxious to sleep, or I have stress-induced nightmares that keep me up all night. But not tonight.

I wake up in the morning in Lawrence's room. After the library, we didn't separate. I didn't want to leave his side and he didn't want that either. So we slept in the same bed. That must be why I feel so at ease. But when I woke up this morning he wasn't there. Which made sad a little. Why is his love so unpredictable?

I entered the homeroom and they were discussing the patrol they would take to get closer into town. It was a food run, and Lawrence was going so I volunteered to go. It was me, Sue, Jay, Eugene, and Lawrence.

I followed Jay into a room so he could give me a weapon. There was a strange tension in the air. Like he wanted to tell me something. As I was serving the weapons, I saw a fire axe. I liked it, I gave it a good swing. It was nice, balanced even.

"I saw you." Jay coughed. Usually he was so loud and obnoxious all the time I never needed him to speak up. But I didn't catch what he was saying.

"Hm? What is it Jay?" Asked as held the fire axe. He looked down at it nervously then back at me.

"I saw you with Lawrence." He spoke. My stomach dropped. Fuck.

"What do you mean?" I giggled innocently the best I could, but I knew I was toast. He opened his mouth to say something else but I heard a knock at the door.

"Ready to go?" I heard Lawrence say from the other side.

"Yup!" I cheerfully responded, but my eyes didn't leave Jay for a moment as I opened the door so we could rejoin the others.

He was going to be a problem.

∇∆

"God I'm so tried!" Jay complained. He was so obnoxious. Eugene was usually the winer, but at least when he did it he was somewhat cute. Jay was just annoying.

The city was desolate. There were no birds, no cats and no dogs. It was quiet, and unnerving. Cars lay vacant, stores were also deserted. It was creepy. It was like the world just stopped hosting life in it.

"Can you shut up Jay?" Sue whispered, saying what we all had on our minds. Jay just rolled his eyes and choose not to respond.

We all follow Lawrence diligently, he motions to us silently and we always follow suit. We don't really find anything useful either before we decide to turn around.

I catch up with Lawrence at the head of the group for a moment.

"He knows." I say quietly.

"Who knows?" Lawrence responded quietly in return, the statement shocked him but he also demanded to know.

"Jay knows." I calmly stated. I could see Lawrence thinking. He knew he was going to be a problem too.

"Don't worry. I'll take care of it." He assured, and I asked no further questions. I returned to the group.

As we start to come up on the school, Lawrence stops us. Ahead of us are five staggering zombies, each more horrendous looking than the last. We all stand perfectly still..

Until Jay bumps into a cafe table with a glass countertop, he tries to stop it from falling but it's no use.

CRASH.

The shatter of glass immediately gets their attention, and they start heading this way.

"Shit!" Lawrence growls under his breath as the zombies start to swarm and we're surrounded, suddenly-something pushes me.

"AH!" I yell in reaction, but the world become a blur as I tumble down a sharp ledge. I feel my body hit against the hard ground several as I tumble.

"Ah.. fuck." I eventually pick myself up after the fall, dusting myself off. I take a step..

"Fuck!" There's shooting pains up my left ankle, I don't know if it's broken but it hurts like hell and I can't put much weight on it.

"Lawrence? Eugene?" I ask the air hopelessly. But I know nobody is here. I look through the wreckage and the ruble and find my fire axe. Thank god I still have that.

I scramble up to my feet and notice that I'm in a karaoke bar, and I look up and see the ledge I fell from. I exhale and try to keep calm.  The air is think with dust and the place looked thrashed and deserted. Doors hang from their hinges, blood everywhere. Much like the classroom I ran into a long time ago, it seemed to be frozen in time. Like encapsulated panic.

And my ankle hurts like hell. I must have rolled it pretty bad or something. I didn't want to think about it being broken.  I try to find my way out of the bar, when I notice a zombie roaming the halls. I cling to the corner, hopping it hadn't noticed me yet.

I center myself from panicking. Just another Zombie, I thought to myself. I've taken down lots of zombies before. I took in a deep breath as my ankle started to throb.

I waited until it rounded the corner, and swung my axe at its face. I swung it so hard, I had to wrench it from his face as it slumped onto the floor. But I was exhausted. The axe felt so much heavier now that my ankle was starting to sap the energy from me.

I weakly limped up the stairs. Taking in gasps of breath and trying my best persevere.

When I did ally got to the top of the steps, my legs finally gave out and I fell, but thankfully Lawrence was already to catch me.

"Oh thank god your alright." Lawrence helped me to my feet.

"Lawrence.. my foot.." I said meekly. I looked around quickly, and there was no sign of Jay, I looked at Lawrence. And he slipped something into my pocket.

"Here, help her Eugene." Lawrence passes me off to Eugene, where I put my arm around him and he helped me lean into him.

We managed to get to the rest of the way to the school safely.