Lawrence - Path continued (16)

"Alright everybody. We're splitting up into groups for this patrol. Who wants to leave the school?" Lawrence surveyed the home room.

I raised my hand and Lawrence counted it. It was all part of the plan. Even if I didn't have to raise my hand, being by his side made me feel better about being out there anyway.

In the end, it was Harry, Lawrence, Sue and I for the patrol.

∇∆

We all were a tight knit, quiet group. Sue was pretty resourceful. I mean, for a soon-to-be-dead bitch. We ducked between stores and searched the streets that were vacant with life. Until we were starting to pass a pharmacy.

"Lawrence." I shout-whispered. We ducked into an alley and I caught his attention before we moved on. The smell was pretty awful, but I was used to it by now.

"Hm?" He responded, I jerked my head over to the pharmacy. He scanned the group to see if anyone could go with me.

"Here, take Harry with you. He'll keep you safe." Lawrence looked at Harry. Harry, just being the sweetheart he is, he smiled at me and waited for me to take the lead on to where we were going.

As I headed into the Pharmacy, the little bell for the door rang. But it wasn't enough to cause any trouble. It smelt like a hospital, and the shelves were ransacked and nearly vacant. The ceiling was nearly caving in and the only light we had was the sunlight pouring through the window towards the front.

"Are you looking for anything in particular?" Harry asked patiently as we entered.

"No-uh, just try to find something useful. You never know when you need more medicine." I uttered, my eyes darting around the place. As I took my first steps into the store, I heard my feet step on broken glass. It must be from the lights.

I needed to find something that could kill Sue in a large enough dose. Should be easy enough to find, anything in excess can be damaging. Trying to not be suspicious was the hard part.

I saw Harry pick up a bottle of painkillers and saw him pocket it. I didn't ask. If anything I could just 'borrow' some from him if I couldn't find anything.

"Find anything useful?" Harry called over from the next aisle, shaking and sorting through bottles.

"Not yet-" I replied but was interrupted.

"You motherfuckers! This is my turf!" A masculine voice yelled out, scaring both of us. We turned to see who this person was.

A Hefty man wielding a shotgun in one hand and a hammer in the other strolled out from behind the corner. None of us said a word. I held my breath.

"Fuckin' scavengers, trying to take my shit! This is my stuff! My home! You shits don't understand I need to provide!" He was furious, spitting with every word.

"We haven't taken anything from you. Please, just let us go." Harry said in a gentle and calm voice, trying diplomacy.

"Bullshit you haven't!"He barked back, pointing his gun at him. I took this opportunity to stay silent. I was praying for Lawrence to come to my rescue somehow.

"I suggest you-" I man stopped, stumbling with his words. He shut his mouth, almost as if he was going to vomit. but as he reopening it, blood spilled out. He looked down and his shirt began to stain with blood. He slumped over, shotgun falling to the floor. And there stood Lawrence. A sick smile across his face. As the man died, he went down and stabbed him with a shard of glass a couple of more times for good measure.

Sue rushed into the store after Lawrence, and stopped once she had seen the massacre. She held her hand up to her mouth so she wouldn't vomit. She looked at me with a knowing look, and it was the look of conformation. She knew it was Lawrence. It just made her even more dangerous.

None of us dared to say a word. We all just stared at Lawrence. I didn't know what to say, I was grateful, but I'd never seen that side of him. I wasn't going to question it.

We heard another set of footsteps. We all rushed to hiding places, Lawrence grabbed my wrist and we both jumped over the counter. Couching below it.

Lawrence listened carefully from behind the counter, it took up all of his attention. I could see the blood splatters on his face from his animalistic actions. I wiped the blood off of his cheek with my hand, and he held it there. Just feeling my palm against his cheek.

"Uncle?! Uncle!" The younger man wailed, lamenting, "I knew your mind was going out but I though we could have made it!" The younger man whispered to the dead one, "There's a safe zone uncle. I found a poster. Full of food and-and clothes-and... I'm so sorry..." The young man sat there, and cried for a while before dragging the body out. That's when we all slipped away.

'Safe zone?' I mouth to Lawrence. He nodded, I had heard correctly.