Eugene - Path continued (9)

"Hello everyone. I've gathered you all to discuss an important topic."

I don't know what he's saying yet but it makes me sick to my stomach. I was standing next to Eugene as he was leaning on the windowsill. Everyone else was sitting in various chairs except for Lawrence, who always stood at the front.

"It has come to my attention that Judy has seemed to have.. disappeared."

I was right to feel sick. I felt nauseous. I felt vile. I thought I lost her when the apocalypse hit, and now I've lost her again. I felt panic begin to set in.

"I bet it's her fault somehow!" Scarlett exclaimed, clearly agitated. She got up from her desk to menacingly walk towards me, "Oh, you just figured since we were running low on food it would be easier without a person." She spat in my face.

"How could you?! She was my best friend!" I spat back at her, tears filling up my eyes and my voice trembled.

"Scarlett you've sunk to such a low that it's pathetic and funny at the same time." Eugene  snarled back at her, quietly grabbing my hand. I don't think anybody could see as both had our hands kinda behind us. It surprised me, but gave me confidence that he was here for me.

"Honestly like I would ever listen to a little shit like you?" Scarlett sneered, but sat back down in her chair. Fed up with how even without Judy here, I still had someone to defend me.

"Scarlett don't say that. We're talking about a person." Harry interjected, considerate as always.

"Harry's right." Lawrence agreed.

Eugene squeezes my hand for reassurance, but without looking at me. It made me smile a bit, and I squeezed back.

"Maybe she ran away?" Jay suggested, breaking up the tension.

"I don't think so. She and I usually go on patrols and she never talked about it." Eugene spoke up.

"Oh, because people always tell you when they're gonna run." Jay sarcastically responded.

"What, do you think you know her better?!" Eugene defended.

"Quiet please." Lawrence tried to get the group back on track, "We should at least make a search party. At anyone who wants to go: Raise your hand.."

And thus a search party was formed. But we didn't find her. And the world seemed much emptier without her.

When we go back up to reconnect with the group, Scarlett yells at me some more. I'm exhausted, Scarlett. Eventually she grows bored of yelling at me and leaves. Harry helps wipe away my tears and Eugene helps me back to my room.

It's just my room now.

"Eugene-" I stop as I'm about to enter my room, his ears perk up. "Can I ask you to do something with me?"

"Depends, what do you need?" He asks simply.

"I want to check the library. Can you help me please?" I plead.

"I think I can do that. Let me get Ethan's crowbar." I was even more grateful for him.

He gets the crowbar and we set off for the library. He jams the crowbar in and I help him push it open.

As we enter the dark library, it smells musty and the dust is think in the air. The warmth that libraries usually come with, has long vacated. Now it's just rows of books that lay unused.

I feel saddened, I don't know what I was expecting. Of course Judy wouldn't be here, but I guess I was just wishing for a miracle. I looked to Eugene. I felt even worse that I was dragging him all over the place. He must be so tried putting up with me.

I look around for things, and riffle through the drawers and cub boards, but to no avail. Eugene was doing the same thing.

I felt like such a an idiot.

I just looked down at the books, and tears started to stream down my face. I was helpless to stop them. I didn't make a whimper or a sound.

I looked to Eugene, who looked back with a mournful gaze.

"Please don't tell me she's gone Eugene. Please." Eugene walked over and took the book out of my hand, and set it down. Then tilted up chin to meet his eyes gently. "I just got her back Eugene. She's all I know anymore...and she's gone. I'm alone." He put my head onto his shoulder and I sobbed into it hopelessly. He ran his hand through my hair and let me cry.

"You're not alone. And as long as your here I swear to god you will never be alone." He whispered gently into my ear. I clung onto him even tighter. He brought me from his should and cupped my cheeks in his hands, "Us English buddies gotta stick together." He spoke with a small smile, trying to cheer me up. I responded with a small smile, and nestled my face into his chest for more silent tears.

And we stayed like that for a long time.