Ethan - Path continued (17)

"Ethan, I don't trust Lawrence." I dipped the cotton swab in the peroxide.

We were in Ethan's room. He was sat down on a chair and I was tending to the wound on his cheek. Which left it bleeding and bruised. He was sitting next to the windowsill and he let his arm rest on it. I turned back around him and applied the cotton swab to his face and he winced.

"Y'know, Im starting to think this whole 'protecting me' thing is pretty dumb." I leaned down to his face, his green eyes looking back at me.

"Well, I promised I'd protect you, and you promised you wouldn't leave me, so now we're both idiots huh?" He smiled at me, his snarky attitude coming back from the Ethan I once knew.

"I'm not the once who got hit in the face with a hammer." I retorted, as I slid onto his lap so that I could apply the bandage on his cheek. There was a smile on my face, I was glad to be around him. He looked at me, almost has if he was admiring every bit of my smile. A lopsided grin spread onto his face. "What?" I chuckled, draping my arms around him, my hands running through his hair on the back of his head. He liked it. I knew what I was doing and I wasn't going to stop, I was going to get what I couldn't in the pharmacy.

Ethan leaned in first but I closed the gap this time, and we were locked in a romantic embrace. The kiss was sweet and slow, we both had been waiting for this moment for a long time. It was gentle, And I could taste the dried blood on his lips.

In such a stark difference, he was afraid to take too much from me. Compared to what Lawrence stole from me in the downstairs storage room, which was rough and messy. This was soothing and slow. Sweet yet gentle.

After the kiss was over, he just looked at me in bliss. "Wow." He said breathlessly.

"Mhm." I nodded, "Stop trying to get yourself hurt okay? It makes me sad seeing you in pain." I pouted at him and he kissed my forehead.

"Why should I if I have you to patch me up?" He sweetly spoke and he pulled me in for another kiss. This one was more sultry, deeper and needier. But I stopped him after a moment and got out of his lap.

"Wait. This is nice and all but I need to talk about Lawrence." I announced, Ethan's hypnotic eyes watching me.

"What about him?" He asked further, but he was still day dreaming from that kiss we had earlier.

"I think he might be the culprit. I think he might have assaulted me. I've never seen anyone like that expect for him be that violent. He also forced himself on me once-but-" And I brushed over that fact because it made me feel awful to share it, "I don't know his motivations. I think Sue might know something. Also, a safe zone?! How come we haven't heard of this before?! That guy seemed to know it. How come we've never heard of anything like that?" My words seemed to ground him.

"I don't know. As for Lawrence: I trust your judgment. You were attacked and I want to help you every bit of the way." Ethan got up from his chair and wrapped his arm around my waist, playing with my hair with his free hand. I felt like I could have kissed him again, but there was a knock at the door and we both looked to it. Ethan sighed and went to it.

"Oh hey-I think Lawrence wants to talk about something." Harry said sweetly to Ethan.

∆∇

We all gathered in the home room,and waiting for Sue to come, but she didn't.

"Sue isn't showing up. Let's just start without her." Lawrence spoke abruptly. It was weird that he was in such a rush to start without someone, but everyone just seemed to go alone with it anyway. "It's come to our attention that there might be a safe zone. We don't know if it's true, we don't have any evidence, but there might be." He seemed to emphasize more on the fact there wasn't any evidence about the safe zone, than the safe zone itself.

"Well then! What are we waiting for? I'm sure it can't hurt to at least look for it. That's the best news we've had in a month." Zion spoke aloud, looking around for approval. There was significantly less members than we had before. Ethan had his arm around me and I was nestled up next to him. Eugene was sitting in one of the desks next to Harry, and Zion was leaning on the wall opposite to the door.

"Yeah, we can't just sit in these classrooms and Wait for a miracle anymore. We're running out of food and it's fuckin' cold. It's worth a shot." Eugene agreed.

"Alright." Lawrence's temper seemed to be shortening, "What do you think Harry?"

"I think it's worth a shot?" He said quietly.

"We should probably get Sue's opinion before we decide on anything though." Zion announced, "Can someone go get her?" Zion groaned. I looked up to Ethan, and he nodded.

"We'll go get her." I said. I thought about going alone, but now that I had Ethan I didn't want to go anywhere by myself. I knew he was safe, he would never let anything bad happen to me.

We made our way out to the hall hand and hand. I gently rapped on her door, "Sue?" I called, "Sue?" I tried the doorknob, but it was locked. "Ethan, can you open the door somehow?"

"Here-these doors are old now. Should be easy enough to get in." He pushed me aside gently. Putting his metal bat above the doorknob, he swung down hard on it. The doorknob fell off with one swing and he pushed the door open.

The scene was horrendous. Sue was laying on the ground and a crowbar was embedded in her head. She looked like she had fought in her final moments. It looked like she might grasp for air or scream at any moment. It was like panic encapsulated.

I recognized the crowbar as Ethan's, and I clung to him. He would never, I know he would never.

"I don't know why it's- I would never-" Ethan started trying to convince me, he had his hand on top of his head, trying to figure this out.

"No. This had to be Lawrence. This must be some sick joke." The sight sickened me, "Ethan. We have to find that safe zone."