Eugene - Path continued (3)

The next day, Lawrence was delegating night-watches/shifts. I volunteered to go with Harry to patrol the school yard. Nothing had changed with Scarlett, she still wanted my head on a pike.

"Even though it's your first night watch, don't worry. Just keep an eye out for anything interesting, or any survivors. If you need any help just ask." Harry smiled politely in the dark field. The shrubs that were once tended by custodians now were in disarray. Any statutes or plaques were either rusting, destroyed, or just gone all together.

"Alright." I nodded, and took note. Then we began our watch.

At first it was really boring. Nothing stood out much and everything already seemed to be whipped clean. But once I wondered into the bushes..

"Huh?!" I gasped, I could see a foot sticking out from the leaves. I pushed the neglected shrug aside, and there was a body. A rotting body. The smell was repulsive, and the sight even worse. Her other leg was bent the wrong way, she she seemed to be wearing a cheerleading outfit.

"What did you find?" Harry trailed behind me, only to see the sight also and be terrified. "Wait-I think she's holding a key." Harry pointed. She was, and she was grasping onto it for dear life it seemed as she died. I reached over and grabbed it, and immediately left the sight.

"Well, I think that's good enough for one night. We found a key." Harry could clearly see I was disturbed and he was as well, "I've looked all over my area, let's go back." I could see that he was trying to make sure I was okay. I appreciated it.

"Thank you." I held on tightly to the key as we went back inside.

∆∇

We reported back to Lawrence and brought the key. He seemed like he was interested in it. As I handed it over to him, the metal was still cold on my fingertips, blood encrusted in certain areas of the key. Lawrence held it and studied it for a moment, thinking and trying to place it.

"Oh yay! A key!" Eugene groaned in the back of the class, Harry and I noticed him when we walked in but it seemed like he was dozing off, so we didn't want to disturb him. Apparently that wasn't the case.

"At least he's trying." I quipped, "Taking the easiest watch area I see?" I was poking fun at the fact I knew he took the rooftop, and I found satisfaction in my attempt to get under his skin a bit.

"Hey, the rooftop can be dangerous!" Eugene interjected, he was at a loss for a proper comeback and I made him flustered. His face turned a light shade of red.

"Ahem." Lawrence cleared his throat loudly to bring the attention back to him so he could finish what he was saying. Once that was handled he continued as he handed the key back to me. "I really don't remeber where this key goes- I know you know this school as well as I do.. but I'm stumped."

"That's okay, we'll just have to do trial and error right?" Harry replied, looking at me with consideration in his eyes. He was always so patient. I nodded in response.

After that it was off to bed, and I stumbled back into Judy's room.

In the morning, I asked Judy about her watch and she asked me about mine. She was very interested in the key too, and we had many ideas as to where it might go. However, Judy noticed something strange as we were leaving the room.

"Hey-Where's my bracelet?" She asked me.