Lawrence - Path continued (11)

Lawrence carried me bridal style once we reached the gate and he no longer had to navigate. I didn't let me walk a single step until we had reached his room. Where he sat me down on a chair and went to tend to my wounds.

Scarlett tried to scream at me about Jay, but Lawrence didn't give her the chance. He didn't even acknowledge her, he simply just carried me to his room and she stood outside yelling stuff against the door like an idiot until she gave up and left us alone.

I was tired, physically and emotionally. The fall left me with cuts and bruises on my body, and my feet felt like they were about to fall off.

"You should look at that what I gave you." Lawrence said, looking through a box of bandages and medicine. I took out the thing he had slipped into my pocket. It was Jay's hunting knife. It was a good knife, handy to have in a place like this.

"So you killed him." I commented, looking at the knife in my hands.

"I hope you understand." Lawrence walked over to me with a roll of bandages to help me with my ankle. "People are unpredictable. If we left him alive, we could try anything to keep his mouth shut but there would be no guarantee he wouldn't tell in the end." He finished up the bandage on my ankle. I winced against the pain. But it was a lot better now since I was wasn't walking on it, and it felt more stable.

"I understand." I spoke gravely. But surprisingly I didn't feel much guilt for him at all. He was a burden to the group anyway. And I've doubted Lawrence before, I won't make that mistake again.

"Don't worry. He won't be missed. We're better off without him." He kissed my forehead, and continued to care to my wounds. We didn't talk much after that, I was absorbed in my thoughts and Lawrence was focused on patching me up. I was even more grateful for him.

∆∇

"Now, a moment of silence for Jay." Lawrence announced at the head of the classroom.

Suddenly, Scarlett got up and stormed off. Nobody stopped her. I guess she was still pretty angry at me.

I looked down at the food on my desk. I wasn't feeling hungry. I just felt so weird about Jay. And so much emptier without Judy. But it's the price I had to pay to be happy. Shouldn't I be guilty? Is all this secrecy worth it? I got up from my desk and left for my room. Nobody stopped me.

I sit in my room. I feel bruised and broken. I look to where Judy usually would lay next to me, now empty.

I hear a knock on my door, and I hope it's who I think it is. I walk over and open it, but to my surprise it's Hailey.

"Sorry, I just thought you might want some company."

I'm a little disappointed, but I'm glad at least someone cared that I left.

"No no.. come in." I gestured for her to enter and she followed suit. I closed the door behind her.

"I'm so sorry all of these things are happening. I know Scarlett isn't making things much easier." Hailey quietly continued. I just nodded, not knowing what to say on the matter. "I know you loved Judy." I looked away from her prying eyes, there is so much she doesn't know.

"I think this is hers." She reaches out a hand, holding Judy's bracelet. I was taken aback.

"Where did you get this?!" I quickly snatched it from her, baffled.

"Harry found it on the floor downstairs." She said gently.

"Thank you." I just replied calmly. I couldn't let Hailey know all of the thoughts inside my head.  Nobody could know about this. Judy never patrols downstairs, so this was a unusual occurrence. But I had to hide the evidence. Nobody could know why Lawrence led her away. He kept it a secret and I was going to keep it that way.

"Of course." She nodded, and left the room.

I thought about Harry. He knew about my feelings about Lawrence, but that doesn't mean he knows we've been intimate. Looking back, Lawrence must have opened that security door, I don't know anyone else who would. Now, he's found Judy's bracelet. It was starting to scare me a bit. I needed to talk to him.

I leave my room and wonder the halls until I find him in the storage room. He seemed to be sorting through various cans and packaged goods, counting them up and organizing them.

"Harry-" I start to walk through the doorway of the storage room, but then I hear something settling. I look up, and I find the floorboards above us starting to cave. "Watch out!" I dive and push Harry and I onto the floor back enough that we managed to dodge it.

I get up off of Harry and dust myself off, coughing up sawdust. Harry does the same. I look around and assess the situation.

"Sorry.. I didn't know what else to do." I refer to tackling him to the ground.

"No-no.. I'm glad you did. I don't know what would have happened if you didn't." He shows me a reassuring smile. As I looked at the wreckage, it looked fatal. If I hadn't saved him.. I don't know if he would survive it. It didn't look natural either. The wreckage looked like shrapnel, like sharpened wooden boards and lead pipes. Lawrence was getting reckless. Guess we was going for an easy de-commission.

"Hey! Can someone help us?" Harry meekly yelled, his nature was too gentle to be aggressive. I was so absorbed in my own thinking I hadn't even thought of trying to get out of here yet.

"Hey! Help! Someone get us out of here!" I yelled louder than Harry. I couldn't see past the doorway since the wreckage blocked it, I just hoped someone was hearing us.