Ethan - Ending

(Hiya this is from Ethan's Path, but it also serves as a reimagined ending for Ethan.)

As we rejoined the group, they were very confused by the sudden fire alarm. I managed to take a glimpse at Hailey and her concerned face, before a Zombie burst through one of the hallway windows and ripped her into the horde outside.

I screamed, and Ethan grabbed me and started to run. We rushed through hallways and classrooms. It was chaos, I could hear zombies bursting through windows, knocking doors down. In the distance I could hear Zion yelling.
We didn't stop yelling until we got outside, away from the alarms.

"Ethan wait!" I yelled, stopping him in his tracks. The field was clear for now. It was a momentary abatement, but I needed to say something to him. "What about the others? Eugene, Zion, and Harry?" I exclaimed through my tried breaths.

"We can't wait for them!" Ethan yelled back, "I made a promise to you! I need to keep you safe! Look." His voice lowered and he put his forehead against mine. Taking locks of my hair in his hands, almost reassuring himself I was still here. "If you were gone I don't know what I'd do. I can't live without you. I'm in love with you. I'm so in love with you it's pathetic. I don't know if your ready to hear this, and I don't know if I'm ready to say this but I am. I've been in love with you since the moment I laid eyes on you in high school. I never talked to you because I thought you always deserved better than me but things have changed and you're here. Now. And I'm not going to lose you." I could see the tears streaming down his face at this point. "If you leave I have nothing left. So please." He whispered to me, pleading desperately, "Please just come with me."

"Okay, okay Ethan. Let's go." I could say nothing else. I realized then, that he needed me just as much as I needed him. I nodded against his forehead, and we kept running.

At one point I tripped and sprained my bad ankle, but he just pick me up and kept running. He needed stopped, he didn't rest, he kept going. For me, he kept running for me.

When we got to the safe zone, we were broken, bleeding and tired. But we made it, and once we did it was just a blur of kisses and laughing. We knew it was over now.

Eventually as the weeks came, Eugene, Zion, and Harry found their way to the safe zone as well. It was an amazing reunion, full of nothing but joy. And inside the safe zone, it was the closest thing we had since normal life.

"Okay so what you want to do is: Square your hips and lean a bit forward, and keep your eyes on the ball. Keep your form strong, and focused." Ethan directed me, relaxing my shoulders. He adjusted my form and stood behind me, moving my arms according. I gripped his metal bat in my hands like so.

"Ethan! Don't worry I got it!" I giggled, brushing him off a bit.

"Alright. You sure?" He asked, walking around to face me.

"Mhm." I nodded, and he started to walk away from me. "Hold on! Your forgetting something." I giggled, sticking out my cheek so he could kiss it. He rolled his eyes and smiled at me. And as he went to his my cheek I turned so our lips could meet instead, and I gave him a slow and long kiss he seemed to lean into.

He giggled, "God, talk about stealing first base." And he went back to teaching me.

It was okay now. It would always be okay, because we had each other.