Eugene - Path continued (12)

As we were waiting for rescue, I quickly turned to Harry.

"Harry, since we're alone right now, I need to talk to you about something." I curtly stated.

"Yeah, of course. What do you need?" Harry was slightly surprised at how I sprung to action.

"Hailey gave me Judy's bracelet. She said she found it on the ground. Judy said she lost it before she disappeared, and Hailey said she found it downstairs. But Judy hasn't gone downstairs or patrolled there in a long time. Which means.." I trailed off. Harry sighed.

"We need to tell the others." Harry seemed disappointed by the conclusion.

"Quiet the pickle you've gotten yourselves in!" I heard Zion taunting from the other side.

"Zion! Stop teasing and just help us!" I shouted, frustrated.

"Okay okay! Let me go get Ethan." He compromised, and I heard his footsteps trail off. He was gone for a moment, before I heard another pair of footsteps. The wreckage suddenly started to move as they sifted through it. It seemed to be taking a long time.

"Wait! Eugene! Help us will ya?" I heard Zion stop him, and Eugene groaned but continued to help. It took a while, but eventually Harry and I were freed.

"Oh thank god!" I sighed a breath of relief, and as soon as I got out my first instinct was to hug Eugene.

"Wow I should really keep track of how many times I keep saving your ass." He lightly tease as I pull away from the hug to see his face, our arms still loosely around each other.

"I'll have you know I can take care of myself, thank you!" I retorted with an air of confidence, teasing him back.

"Yeah I'm sure you could have moved that entire thing-"

"Ahem." Zion cleared his throat to get our attention. We noticed how close we were to each other and quickly separated, both of us extremely flustered.

"We need to call for a meeting." Harry sternly said to Zion.

∇∆

"This is kinda ironic, usually I'm the one to call for these meetings." Lawrence joked as we all filed into the home room. "What's the meaning of all this?" He was clearly unaware of the circumstances.

Everyone had gathered and been scattered about the room. Hailey was anxious, while Sue and Scarlett were more deadpan.

"Please Lawrence, if you would sit down." Harry gestured to a seat. Lawrence raised an eyebrow at the sudden shift of power, but didn't find enough reason to fight about it.

"It's recently come to our attention that Y/N has Judy's bracelet. Hailey said she found it downstairs and returned it to her. But its very suspicious.. because Judy usually doesn't go downstairs, and she didn't go downstairs before she went missing." I stood with Harry, it was interesting to see him try to lead a conversation like this.

"What are you trying to say Harry?" Zion questioned from the back of the room.

"That something isn't right. There's something suspicious happening." Harry looked at Zion beseechingly.

"Actually," Eugene spoke up, as he was standing next to Zion. "I found this." He held up Jay's hunting knife. Everyone was surprised, and Scarlett gasped.

"Why do you have that?!" Lawrence exclaimed, almost demanding an answer.

"I found it while I was out patrolling the schoolyard after he.." Eugene didn't want to say the words.

"He wouldn't let anyone else touch it, let alone lose it." Scarlett started to panic.

"You guys.. I'm insulted. I'm supposed to be the leader right? How come nobody told me about this stuff?" Lawrence patronized, I never knew he had this nature in him. He was so condescending, all of this just seemed so silly to him.

"Someone better tell me what's happening right now." Scarlett was freaking out, and she was starting to hyperventilate. She was pacing back and forth on the left side of the room.

"Scarlett, calm down-" Zion started.

"Don't tell me to calm down!" Scarlett screamed. "Judy's bracelet, Jays knife, and now my lip balm! Can't you see?! Can't anyone else see?! I'm next!" Scarlett was in full panic-mode. Zion walked over to her in an effort to calm her down, but she pushed him back.

"Why are all of you so calm?! Hailey, tell me you found that bracelet in her room!" Scarlett screamed, manic. But Hailey was silent. "Say it!" Scarlett had tears streaming down her face at this point, and she held the room. We were all silent, trying to process this new information.

"Well.." Lawrence cleared his throat. "I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation for everything. There is no need for alarm." Lawrence waves his hand dismissively.

"Really, you guys are all jumping to conclusions. This all started because of one little bracelet. You won't let that ruin the nice little group we have here right?" Lawrence got up from his desk and assumed the head of the classroom again. He was being so condescending and acting in a manner I had never witnessed. "As for you all, I'm supposed to be the leader of the group. How can I lead if not everyone is being honest with me?"

I felt awful. I guess we weren't being fair to Lawrence, it was really rude of us to take his place like that.

"Maybe we should sleep on it, hm?" Lawrence said in the most aggressively polite manner, patting Harry on his shoulder. "Meeting dismissed." He gritted his teeth, look long like he was concealing his frustration and left the room. Thus, the meeting was over.

But I just stayed in the room. Where would I go? I can't go into my room, with Judy murdered it's too much of a haunting memory. So I just stayed. I thought of going to Eugene's room, but that's out of the question, he would probably be really uncomfortable.

I ended up looking out the windowsill, as dusk began to set. The sunset was still beautiful as ever. Thank god at least that would never change.

Eugene came up behind me and stood by me, looking at me with concern.

"You holdin' up okay?" He asked.

"Yeah. It's whatever." I shrugged, he snaked his arms around mine and held my hand.

"Hey. Scarlett was screaming but at least it wasn't at you." Eugene was trying to look at the bright side of things for me. I was still discouraged. "Things are much more interesting with you around. Before you, it was boring as hell! Isn't that right Ethan." We both looked at Ethan, who was passed out on a desk at this point. I guess he just didn't have the motivation to get up after the meeting.

I giggled slightly at how silly the situation was, it was hard not too when Eugene was so charming.

"Poor guy. Stay here-I'm going to take him back to his room." Eugene left my side to move Ethan. I was still fixated at the window, watching the school yard.

What's that?

I blinked, and leaned against the glass, trying to see. It was so dark. But I knew it was human, I could tell by the way it moved.

Wait-Scarlett?!

I dashed out of the room without a second thought. It would make sense she would run, the stress must have been too much.

I ran out to the court yard. "Scarlett!" I called.

But as my heels screeched to a halt, the being wasn't Scarlett anymore. But a horrendous zombie.