Lawrence - Path continued (18)

I was in English class. Our teacher was giving us a lecture on the philosophy on what separates humans from animals, and how in many ways we are alike.

There was this one student sitting at the front of the classroom, with his hood up. I think he was.. twitching. But he was a weirdo anyway, so nobody paid him mind.

Suddenly, there was a loud banging at the door. It sounded like multiple people, and it was unnatural for our polite student halls. It was angry, demanding, and hungry.

As my teacher had stopped his lecture, annoyed by the fact he had to stop, he began to walk over to the door. At this point, the twitching student in the front row passed out it had seemed. Two students rushed to aid the fallen boy.

As the teacher twisted the doorknob, the twitching student sprang to life and began to feast on one of the students helping him. And the teacher opened the door for a horde of zombies who came crashing into the room.

I woke up in a cold sweat, gasping for air. I looked around me in a panic, but I was in Lawrence's room. I looked down and I could see him still sleeping by my side. I took a deep breath.

"What's wrong dear?" I heard Lawrence mumble, it seems like I woke him up accidentally. I rubbed the sleep from his eyes and turned onto his back to look up at me.

"It's nothing." I exhaled, blinking. I laid back down next to Lawrence, bundling back up in the cold room. I turned my body to him, "Sorry I woke you up." He looked different without his glasses on, his eyes were a bit bigger. It wasn't a bad difference though.

"Babe I know something's up. Please, tell me." He blinked at me, always knowing what's on my mind. He grabbed my arm and pulled me closer to him, our bodies meeting.

"I just dreamt about when the attack hit our school." I laid my head on his chest as he laid on his back. Hearing his heart beat.

"I'm sorry. I'm sure it was awful." He absentmindedly brush his free hand through my hair.

"What happened to you when it hit?" I asked, but I didn't move my head to meet his eyes. I was too comfortable.

"Hm. I was in the guidance office talking to my counselor. She was talking to me about available scholarships, all of their due dates to apply and such. As smart as I am, it bored me to death. I wished I was somewhere else at that time, and I thought of you, coincidentally. I wondered what you were doing. Weird huh?" He laughed lightly, "But then I noticed that she was having a difficult time focusing at her computer. She stopped finishing her sentences, and I think she started drooling. I didn't know what to do, I just stared as she started to look sick and deranged. Suddenly she stopped talking, and slowly turned her head to me. She lunged, and I raced out into the hall with her hot on my trail. Just then, a student who was waiting to go to the principals office shot her. With a gun from his backpack." I could feel him tense up, "I can only imagine what would've happened with that student if the apocalypse didn't hit."

"At least we have each other now right?" Nestling into his chest. He was quite fit, as I doubt the apocalypse would allow him otherwise. Not exactly build, just fit.

"Right. Hey.. Tomorrow promise me you'll keep going okay? Promise me you won't stop." He was referring to the safe zone our group had allegedly found. Everyone was fixated on going, and we were supposed to get going tomorrow.

"Of course. You know I would do anything for you."

∇∆

I woke up without Lawrence by my side. It was awful. I talked to the other guys but he seemed to have disappeared. I wanted to find him, but we didn't have much time. I looked around frantically for him, but I couldn't find him and it scared me.

But Lawrence made me promise to keep going, so I have too. I trust that he is somewhere, he wouldn't leave me.

I staggered behind the group, sad Lawrence wasn't by my side. I felt so alone in these halls. These halls seemed to taunt me, he once housed human life but now they were condemned. They housed Judy and all of my friends, but now they were gone. Without Lawrence here to prevent the weight of every crushing me, I felt immense guilt.

Suddenly, I heard something strange. My ears perked up as the group ahead of me talked quietly and mindlessly.

Suddenly, the fire alarm went off. The loud beeping sound scared me to death, and I covered my ears from the horribly loud noise.

I remember back with Jay and the glass table. I remember back to when I screamed in the courtyard. I think I know what these bells are supposed to do. What was he doing?

I looked up just in time for Hailey to get ripped through the hallway window. I panicked, and I just ran into the hallway to my right.