Eugene - Path continued (4)

We spend most of the spare time we had in the morning to try and find Judy's bracelet, but it was to no avail.

"I'm sure it's nothing, I guess I might have dropped it somewhere." Judy just laughed it off, as it was her nature. However, I couldn't shake off this awful feeling that it was something else.

There was a meeting held in the classroom, were the key was discussed. Lawrence arranged for me to try to find the correct room for it, and I was to check the Library first with Zion. Nothing really happened other than that, Scarlett tried to find an excuse to kick me out, Judy argued against her, Eugene complained about them both, same old same old.

"Try not to get lost!" Eugene called after me, teasing me as I left the room.

"You wish!" I called back.

Zion and I didn't speak for a few paces, I didn't really know how to talk to him. He was just so.. Arrogant? Confident? I didn't really know how to respond to that.

"I'm getting the feeling you wanted me to be someone else string-bean." He refered to me.

"What? No.. pssst..." I tried to play it off, but it was clearly faked. I thought of Eugene. He was so fun to be around, I wish I could spend more time with him without being weird.

"You know, he really likes you." Zion strode ahead of me, walking backwards to face me.

"Yeah? Somehow I don't believe you." I looked at him, I found the fact he was walking backwards just to look cooler to be absurd, and it showed on my face. I think he was just saying that to get a rise out of me.

"I wish I was. Maybe then he would be quiet every once in a while." He joked to himself, and slipped himself around to face the library. "Nows the time you put that key to good use huh?"

"I guess so." I pulled out the blood-soaked key and put it into the keyhole, but it didn't turn.

"Well. Better luck next time." Zion shrugged, "Guess we should report back." As soon as he finished his statement, I heard footsteps. Not loud ones, or purposeful ones, just light footsteps. As Zion was about to turn around, I stopped him.

"Do you hear that?" I looked around, a chill climbing up my spine.

Zion rolled his eyes at me, and in a mocking manner licked his finger and acted like he was looking for a breeze. "Nope." He could see that I wasn't letting up, and I wasn't going to be relieved until he at least looked for it. "Fine, I'll look ahead okay?" He strolled ahead and turned the corner, and was gone for a moment, but returned without a hitch.

"Nothings there hun." But then he leaned into me and spoke in a real hush voice, "But just because you don't see, it doesn't mean it's not there." A sick feeling churned in my stomach.

"Nah I'm just fuckin with you, I'm sure your just hearing things. Ready to go princess?" Zion suddenly cheered up, satisfied with how well he managed to scare the hell out of me. I absentmindedly nodded and trailed him as we returned to the others.

∇∆

"See I knew it wouldn't work! She can't do anything right! We should just stop trying, the key probably too screwed up to work." Scarlett exclaimed.

We all gathered in the home room to discuss our findings. Judy was sat next to me in a desk and she squeezed my hand for reassurance, glaring at Scarlett.

"Scarlett we must maintain our composure. I'm sure the key goes somewhere. We just need to find it." Lawrence stood at the head of the classroom, like the leader he assumed he was.

"Yeah don't be too hard on the girl. She's just the one who found it after all. I'm sure Harry would have found it eventually too." Zion defended me surprisingly, leaning on the windowsill next to Ethan.

"Oh so now your taking her side?!" Scarlett interjected, offended.

I just retreated into my own thoughts while Scarlett bickered with everyone. Where could it possibly go? Maybe it's a key for one of the lockers? Maybe a stray classroom? Maybe it's a skeleton key?

Eventually the meeting is dismissed and we are all left to our devices as the sunsets and curfew will soon set in.

"Penny for your thoughts?" Judy questioned as she stood next to me in the hall. The sunset shone through the hall windows.

"It's nothing. I'm just gonna do some light exploring and try to find a home for this key." I fished the key out of my pocket and looked at it.

"Okay, but promise me you'll be safe okay? Most of our classmates didn't make it when the attack hit, and I don't want you meeting any of them while your out with none of us around okay?" Judy looked into my eyes with that worried, motherly gaze. I just gave her a reassuring smile.

"Don't worry Judy, I won't go too far. And I'll be careful, I promise." I tried to ease her worries, and I patted her shoulder before I set out on my small adventure.