Eugene - Path contiued (8)

After a cold night, I woke up and patrolled the school again, but with sue this time as the other boys went on a supply mission. We came back empty handed, as we've already combed over the area plenty of times.

After my patrol, I walked into the home room, seeing that Eugene had passed out sitting in a desk. He had a late patrol last night, he must be exhausted. He looked so cute.

I walked over and sat at the desk next to him, holding one of his hands protectively as he napped. I looked outside the window. The guys were supposed to be back soon.

Suddenly, Eugene started to wake up from his nap.

"Oh sorry, I didn't mean to wake you up." I smiled at him slightly.

"Bullshiiittt." He swore back, joking. As he rubbed his eyes, he noticed we were holding hands. But he didn't take his hand away. He just stared at each other for a moment, both of us flushed. I then immediately took my hand away and quickly changed the subject, avoiding eye contact.

"What's up with you? You usually aren't this tired after night patrols..." I tucked a lock of my hair behind my ear.

"I-um-well." Eugene regained his composure. "I should probably tell you this but.." Suddenly his time getting a lot more serious, "Judy didn't show up to the patrol. So I had to cover the entire floor by myself. It took me all night." He sighed, "Could you tell her to show up next time?" He spoke with a frustrated tone.

I was confused. Judy wasn't a flake.

"I will.. she usually isn't like that-"

Then the boys practically burst into the home room, Lawrence, Zion, Jay, Ethan and Harry were back from the mission. They boasted about, proud of their haul of food. They were also covered in blood, and still panting with exhaustion.

"Excuse me, but we have to go with protocol and check for bites." Lawrence who urged me to leave the room.

"That means you buttercup." Zion remarked like a smartass, and as I was leaving he quipped again, "Unless you wanna stay..." he leaned in close to my face as I held my hand in the doorknob.

"Zion, call me when you get some manners." I glared at him, leaning in and whispering to be even more intimidating.

"Won't be anytime soon hun." Zion laughed, and went back to talking with the rest of the guys. I looked back at Eugene, before I left. Missing his presence already, and surprisingly he was already look at me and we accidentally made eye contact. My face got even redder and I quickly adverted gaze and left.

"Real smooth Casanova!" I heard Zion berate Eugene outside of the door.

I heard the boys arguing inside, Zion was talking about the dangerous adventure they just went on. While Ethan was bickering, saying that they were taking too many risks.

As I moved to go back to my room, I heard a door open, and I saw Scarlett leave her room. A sour expression on her face.

"Hey Scarlett." I was sat back down on the ground and nodded my head to greet her. Her temper only seemed to worsen.

Suddenly, she picked me up from the ground and held me by my collar. I was shocked to say the least as she held me against the door, glaring into my eyes with a stern expression.

"You went in my room huh?" She spoke slowly, as if I would only have one chance to answer the question correctly.

"I have no idea what your talking about." I was frazzled, and taken aback by the sudden circumstances. But I stood my ground.

"I know you were in my fuckin' room." She grabbed my collar and shook me aggressively, "Where is it?"

"Where's what?" I retorted.

"My lip balm dipshit." She got in my face with a low voice, "Tell me where you put it."

"I didn't take it, but I now that I think of it it's a pretty good idea." I actually spit at her feet in disgust.

"I'm going to ask you this one more time." She got close to my face, "Where. Is. My. Lip balm?"

"Bite me." I threaten her back.

She lifted her hand up and with a WHACK, she backhanded me across the face. It was so loud it echoed through the halls.

"Now listen here you little shit-" I quickly push her off of me and rear back my fist when suddenly-

Eugene grabs my arm.

"What the hell is going on here?!" I heard Lawrence yell. My eyes were hazy from the white hot pain on my face, but I blinked and my eyes refocused. Apparently the slap was so loud the boys heard it.

Lawrence held Scarlett back back as she glared at me.

"That little bitch was going to punch me! Can you believe that!" She exclaimed to Lawrence, trying to make me seem like the bad guy.

"I guess I should have just let you go. She probably deserved it." Eugene remarked to me, letting my hand go. "Are you okay?" He spoke in a quiet voice to me. Seeing the giant red splotch one my face. Having him this close to me made me so nervous.

"She stole my fucking lip balm! Why are you looking at me like I'm crazy! I'm the victim here not her!" Scarlett screamed.

"Yeah, I hardly doubt that." Eugene sarcastically remarked.

"Oh you little!" Scarlett tried to move towards him, but Lawrence regained his hold of and held her back.

"Scarlett I didn't take it! Why do you even think I did it in the first place?!" I barked, Eugene standing by my side.

"Scarlett I think it's best if you'd calm down. Zion?" Lawrence said calmly and called to Zion. Who helped him escort her back to her room.

After a moment, Lawrence leaves Zion in with her. I can hear them arguing from down the hall. Ethan is just so shocked from these events that he follows Zion to help him just incase.

After she leaves, I frantically explain to Lawrence, Lawrence please believe me, I would never steal her lip balm. I have no idea what she's talking about." I looked at him with pleading eyes. Scarletts been accusing and yelling me this entire time, and I feel like at some point there has to be a tipping point where I just get kicked out.

"Don't worry I trust you." I was taken aback by his faith in me.

"Wait but-" I started but he interrupted me.

"Well you didn't steal it did you?"

"No-"

"Then there is no cause for alarm." Lawrence confidently stated. The arguing in Scarletts room only got louder. "I'm going to see if I can calm her down." Lawrence started walking back to her room.

"You seem to be quite the trouble maker huh?" Eugene raised an eyebrow at me fondly, impressed at how I responded to Scarlett. He put the back of his hand on my cheek where Scarlett slapped me to cool it down and ease the pain. It made my heart flutter.

"Yeah. If trouble is keeping myself safe." I shrugged. This entire encounter drained my spirits and Eugene could sense it too. And my face still stung. "I'm going back to my room." I spoke, deflated. I walked away and made my way to my room. Eugene looked after me, looking like he wanted to say something, but decided against it and just let me go.

When I entered, there was no Judy. Hell, she's been gone all day, where could she be?