Lawrence - Path continued (2)

"Who the hell is this?!" I hear a voice demand from the other side of the room, interrupting Judy and I hugging. She stood by my side.

"Scarlett-" Lawrence begins, but She steps in front of him, completely ignoring him and marching right up to me.

"Who have you the idea that it was okay to come up here and put us all in danger huh? Huh?!" She spits in my face. "Listen, I don't know who you are and I intend for it to stay that way. Leave." She pushed me back.

"I just got here, I'm not leaving." I spoke in a low voice, glaring right back at her.

"Jesus Christ Scarlett, can you calm down?! What's got you so worked up?!" Zion strolls over and tried to pull Scarlett away, but she stands her ground.

"Hey! That's my best friend your talking about! If you want her your going to have to go through me first!" Judy stood but my side, but Scarletts eyes were unwavering as they stared into my soul. Suddenly she noticed my bloody arm where I had been injured previously. Zion rolled his eyes and noticed his presence wasn't affecting anything, and just went back to standing next to Ethan.

"Look! She's infected!" She aggressively held up my arm, "She's a danger for us all!"

"I'm not infected!" I barked at her, wrenching my hand my her arm.

"She's not infected Scarlett..." Lawrence massaged the bridge of his nose. It seemed like he was exhausted of her tantrums.

Scarlett scoffed, "Well I don't want her here!" She threw down my arm. "I call for a vote!"

"Scarlett.." He sighed at her, "She's staying here and that's final. I suggest you learn some manners." He walked over to me and adjusted my jacket that she messed with when she pushed me. "Are you okay?" He asked me in a voice I would only hear, "Don't mind her." I looked up at his big brown eyes and nodded, because having him this close left me at a loss for words.

"Oooo!" Eugene taunted, "Look who's in trouble now huh?" Scarlett huffed over to her desk, and stomped on his foot on the way over, "Ow! Jeez."

"Anyways.." Lawrence was glad that Scarlett had calmed down so that he could get on with the meeting, "Here, take a seat." He motioned over to one of the desks. I sat down quietly, but I could still feel Scarlett glaring her eyes at the back of my head. But as I held my eye contact for a moment on Lawrence, he had a glint in his eye I couldn't quite place. Like I had set a plan in motion.

Lawrence introduces me to the group, and I
learn all of the groups names. Most of them I already picked up on, but then there was Jay, Sue and Hailey I learned soon after. He continued onto explain the next round of patrols and how I could carry my weight, and what patrols I would do.

"As for bedding situations, unfortunately all the the rooms are filled up, but-" Lawrence was interrupted but an excited Judy. He looked like he was slightly disappointed at her interjection.

"Oh! Oh! You could room with me!" Just shot her hand up in the air, despite it not having any effect anyway, "Room with me? Pleeeassee?"

I smiled at her, "Of course Judy."

∆∇

These halls are familiar to me. Yet, I'm not afraid of them. They had previously hosted such evil, but I knew they had more in store for me somehow.

"Heyyy! Are you in there? Earth to best friend!" Judy cooed. We where sitting on a 'bed' (which was a bunch of salvaged blankets and a torn mattress.). Moonlight streamed through the windows, and in the sky I could see stars.

"Uhm? What's up?" I spoke, tired but glad to have Judy by my side.

"I'm still just so glad your here. I lost track of you when the attack hit school. I thought for sure you were gone. But your not." Judy smiled at me and hugged me as we both sat on the bed.

"Everything from that day was a blur. I was so.." It troubles me just to think about it again.

"And I guess it's good that Lawrence here too huh?"

"Yeah I guess it is.." I silently smiled to myself, day dreaming. But I felt ashamed, the world just ended. Why did he consume my thoughts still? "Is it bad that I'm still thinking of him like that?"

"No, you're human. You still have feelings for people even though the worlds gone to shit." Judy reassured me, putting a hand on my shoulder.

"Thank you Judy. I'm so relieved to see you here. I thought I would never see you again.." Suddenly I just started crying. Overcome with all of the emotion, and reunion with my best friend. Judy was there to comfort me until I eventually fell asleep.

∇∆

I awoke to someone aggressively knocking on my door. I sat up, and noticed that Judy wasn't awake, and it seemed to be in the very late hours of the night. I didn't want to wake her, so I just got up and answered the door.

To my surprise it was Scarlett. I literally wish it was anyone else.

"I left my jacket downstairs. You need to go get it." She spoke abruptly.

"What?" I replied, rubbing the sleep from my eyes.

"I said," And she sounded out the next sentence really slowly, "Go get my jacket from downstairs." She stared at me for a moment, seeing that I wasn't processing what she was saying, then aggressively stated, "You want to pull your weight? Want to earn my respect? Go get my Jacket. It'll literally take you five minutes just go!" She pushes me, but I didn't want to put up with her so I went.

I was quietly sneaking on the bottom floor, but there was no jacket in sight. And I was scared. I turned to look out the window, and saw an gnarled zombie. It's face rotting and it's jaw hanging from its dead tendons. Flies swarmed it.

I cover my mouth as I yelped, it didn't seem to notice me. I quickly ducked under the window. Why am I doing this?! I wondered to myself, I'm risking my life for an ungrateful brat.

"Y/N?" I heard Lawrence's voice. I snapped my head to him, embarrassed that I was somewhere where I wasn't supposed to be. I was also surprised he remembered my name, considering we didn't talk much. "What are you doing down here?" He seemed to be truly puzzled by me.

"Oh I-uh.. I was getting Scarletts jacket. I guess there is no Jacket huh?" I looked back at him, a smile of good faith on my face. I felt so dumb.

"No, I don't think so." He slightly chuckled and it made he feel a little less stupid, "Let me escort you back upstairs. I just finished my patrol conveniently enough." He said politely and returned my smile. I could tell that maybe he wasn't telling me the full truth, but I was in no place to press charges. He held out his arm for me to take and we went back upstairs together. Even his refined attitude was still so sweet to me.

When we went back upstairs, Scarlett was no longer in front of my door. He held the door open for me to enter. I noticed his right hand was bandaged, but I didn't question it.

"May we meet again, my Lady." He gestured for me to enter my room, joking lightly with me.

"My our paths cross, my liege." I giggled in return, giving a slight curtsy, then I entered my room. After the door shut behind me, I just stood there for a moment. I didn't notice how much my face had heated up. Lawrence just made the world melt around me sometimes, when I was with him, I forgot that it was the end of the world.

I sighed, and went back to bed.