Eugene - Path continued (10)

I slept well, for the first time in forever. Usually I'm either too anxious to sleep, or I have stress-induced nightmares that keep me up all night. But not tonight.

I must have fallen asleep in Eugene's arms, and he must have taken me back to my room. I felt a lot lonelier without his presence. It's not my fault I felt so at ease with him I could finally fall asleep. I quickly got up, and went to the home room, where I heard people gathering.

I entered the room and they were discussing the patrol they would take to get closer into town, and they would also be looking for Judy too. So I volunteered to go. It was me, Sue, Jay, and Lawrence.

During the meeting, I kept noticing that Eugene was looking at me, especially when I volunteered to go.

We went to one of the classrooms where Jay gave me a metal pipe about the size of my forearm. Then, he led the way out of the room and I trailed after. After I left the room, Eugene pulled me aside as he had been waiting to catch me in the way out.

"Whats all this? It's dangerous out there, what are you thinking?" He questioned, worried for my safety. 

"I need to find Judy. If I don't do this I'm going to regret it." I explained, he was worried but understood where I was coming from.

"Well then. I'm going with you. I have a promise to keep." Eugene spoke with determination.

∇∆

"God I'm so tried!" Jay complained. He was so obnoxious. Eugene was usually the winer, but at least when he did it he was cute. Jay was just annoying.

The city was desolate. There were no birds, no cats and no dogs. It was quiet, and unnerving. Cars lay vacant, stores were also deserted. It was creepy. It was like the world just stopped hosting life in it.

"Can you shut up Jay?" Sue whispered, saying what we all had on our minds. Jay just rolled his eyes and choose not to respond.

We all follow Lawrence diligently, he motions to us silently and we always follow suit. We check for Judy about everywhere but she's nowhere to be seen. We don't really find anything useful either before we decide to turn around.

As we start to come up on the school, Lawrence stops us. Ahead of us are five staggering zombies, each more horrendous looking than the last. We all stand perfectly still..

Until Jay bumps into a cafe table with a glass countertop, he tries to stop it from falling but it's no use.

CRASH.

The shatter of glass immediately gets their attention, and they start heading this way.

"Shit!" Lawrence growls under his breath as the zombies start to swarm and we're surrounded, suddenly-something pushes me!

"AH!" I yell in reaction, but the world become a blur as I tumble down a sharp ledge. I feel my body hit against the hard ground several as I tumble.

"Ah.. fuck." I eventually pick myself up after the fall, dusting myself off. I've seemed to lost my metal pipe. I take a step..

"Fuck!" There's shooting pains up my left ankle, I don't know if it's broken but it hurts like hell and I can't put much weight on it.

"Lawrence? Jay?" I ask the air hopelessly. "..Eugene?" The name escapes my mouth even though I know he's not here. I alone down here.

I scramble up to my feet and notice that I'm in a karaoke bar, and I look up and see the ledge I fell from. I exhale and try to keep calm. The air is think with dust and the place looked thrashed and deserted. Doors hang from their hinges, blood everywhere. Much like the classroom I ran into a long time ago, it seemed to be frozen in time. Like encapsulated panic.

I try to find my way out of the bar, when I notice a zombie roaming the halls. I cling to the corner, hopping it hadn't noticed me yet.

Don't panic, don't panic... I have to get back to Eugene.

I look frantically all over, and I spot a fire axe. Thank god for my luck. I quickly pick it up and hobble towards the first zombie as quietly as I can.

SHINK!

I sink the axe into the zombies head with as much force as I can, and it gets stuck and I have to yank it back out of him.

Suddenly I hear I noise from behind, and I swing wildly behind me. Sinking my axe into another zombie before it had the chance to bite me.

I relax my body. Fuck-my foot. In the rush of adrenaline I didn't notice how bad the pain was getting.

I suddenly look around me at the two dead zombies on the ground. Imaging what they looked like when they were alive. Wondering what they're life was like.

They were people too.

Suddenly my I start panicking, my breath starts to speed up. I let go of my axe and let it hit the floor. Tears start to well up in my face and my world starts to spin.

"Eugene!" I cry out hopelessly and viscerally.

"Hold on! I'm coming!" I hear him call. I suddenly stop my panic, and look towards the voice. And I could see him racing down the stairs to get me.

Once he finally gets at the bottom of the stairs I cumple into his arms. "What's wrong? Are you hurt? Are you bit?" He pushes the hair out of my face to see me. He looks around and see the dead zombies around us. "Are there any more?"

"No. Please get me out of here Eugene." I cried, "My ankle-it-" I hissed with pain, as it started to throb and hurt even more.

"Here-lean into me- let's try to make it up the stairs." He put my arm around him and let me lean into him. Even step was painful, but he kept reassuring we were almost there every single step I took, never letting me give up.

"Oh thank god your alright." Lawrence spoke once he saw us emerge.

I scanned around quickly, and there was no sign of Jay, I looked at Lawrence beseechingly.

"We lost him." Lawrence spoke gravely. "We need to get going."

"Here, get onto my back." He said to me, and I climbed up. Clinging onto him. Eugene carries me like that the rest of the way to the school.

"Your enjoying this aren't you?" He spoke in a fond voice as we got to a nice clearing.

"I guess I need to sprain my ankle more often." I giggled quietly, and held onto him tightly.

"Thank you." I whispered to him.

"Of course."

We managed to get to the rest of the way to the school safely.