Zion - Nightwatch

(When you were gonna write this yesterday but ur stomach decided you had food poisoning)

As I burst through the door, there was a chill breeze. The clear night sky ahead of me, with no light pollution I could see every star in the sky. I walked out onto the rooftop, Zion trailing behind me.

The stars were absolutely beautiful. It caught my full attention.

He cleared his throat, "It seems like you two seem to be having a moment. I'll-I'll just go." Zion jested, referring to the sky.

"Shut up." I meant in the most friendly way, "This is one of the nice things I have left and your gonna ruin this for me too." I went over and gave him a slight push with a slight smile on my face, moving over to the fences.

"What can I say? It's my nature." He replied sarcastically, trailing behind me. "This watch should be easy, there's usually nothing up here. Eugene always tries to patrol the roof, I'm surprised we got it." He leaned on the fence right next to me.

"Seems like destiny, doesn't it?" With my hands on the fence, I got close to his face with my romantic comment to try to elicit some type of emotion out of him. But it doesn't get anything.

"Your games don't work with me hun." He just grinned in response, ruffling my hair, laying his back against the fence and facing away from me. I do the same and lay against the fence, looking up at the stars.

There's a long silence, and this time he seems to let it sit in the air. There is a certain peace to this, I can feel it.

"You know, you owe me one." Zion finally spoke after the silence.

"Yeah? For what exactly?" A amused smile formed on my face.

"Saving your life." Zion proudly stated.

"Oh really? Lawrence is the one who found me."

"Yeah, but Lawrence isn't the one with brute strength and a metal pipe."

"True true... Why are you telling me this?" I questioned.

"Oh.. No reason." I could sense his demeanor change into a mischievous one just by the look on his face. I rolled my eyes and pushed off the fence, going to one of those air conditioning units and sitting on top of them.

"It's never nothing with you, Zion."

"Yeah I know." But the statement delighted him anyway, as he followed me to the air conditioning unit and leaned on it. Either I was short or he was tall, but our height seemed to be the same despite the fact I was sitting on the AC unit.

We just seemed to sit there and look at each other for a short time.

"God, life used to be so different for me, yknow?" He looked up to the sky and thought of the words he was going to stay, "I used to be so well off, there used to be rumors about paying people to be my friends. Everything. Nice house, cars, college."

"Rich kid huh?"

"I guess you could say that." He glanced at me, entertained by our banter. "But money can't buy genuine. And you're genuine."

"Oh? Was that? A compliment, my dear Zion?" Sarcasm from me.

"I know I know, and I'll never live it down. But it's true." The serene atmosphere made it easy to drift off in a conversation. Our pauses and silences weren't awkward, but meditative. I put my hand on top of the hand he was leaning into the AC unit with.

"Hey Zion?"

"Yes dear-y?"

"What are you gonna do after all of this is over?"

"Hm.. I don't know. It sounds like you've already got it figured out huh?" He looked at me, it looked like he was entranced with me a bit. He had that look in his eyes.

"Yeah.. But I can't tell you." A mischievous smile grew on my face.

"Okay..." He though for a moment, "Can I least be involved?"

"Sure." I looked into his eyes, leaning into the conversation, now that I knew I had his attention.

"Promise?"

"Promise." I held out my pinky.

"Oh? What are you? Like 5?-" Zion resisted a chuckle before I cut him off.

"Do you want the promise or not?!" I demanded, but it was clear I was just joking around.

"Okay okay! Pinky promise." Zion looped his pinky with mine and the pact was sealed. After a slight laugh, she just looked into my eyes and I did the same.

Softly, he tucked the hair behind my ear and leaned in, I did the same, but then I realized what we were doing.

"Wait! Zion!" I quickly got off the AC unit, furiously blushing.

"What?! If you had just waited a couple more seconds and we could have totally been making out." It seems like this rejection hasn't even phased him at all.

"Zion this is moving all too fast-I barely know you! And we are in the middle of the apocalypse! This isn't the time for romance!" I objected, standing about two feet from Zion.

"That's the reason why we should be doing this! I might die tomorrow yknow-"

"Don't say that! Your not going to die tomorrow Zion! Your smarter than that!" I exclaimed back, this was all the much for me right now. Given these past few days, I was just overwhelmed in general. I sighed loudly. "Give me a week Zion, and just let me think this all over okay?"

"Alright, sounds fair, then after the week we can totally-" Zion was about to crudely state before I interrupted once again.

"I decide if we can be intimate like that or not."

"Fine." Zion shrugged with all the confidence in the world. "But I am totally going to charm you by the end of the week."

"I think that's the most unromantic think you've ever said to me." I rolled my eyes at him, a more relaxed attitude coming in. I walked past him towards the door to leave the roof. Zion simply contemplated for a moment before following.

"Hm. This one's different." He muttered to himself.