Ethan - Path continued (16)

I didn't speak to Ethan for the rest of the day.

"Alright everybody. We're splitting up into groups for this patrol. Who wants to leave the school?" Lawrence surveyed the home room.

I raised my hand and Lawrence counted it. I looked over to Ethan and he was avoiding my eyes. I just felt suffocated by our surrounding circumstances.

"Ok Ethan and.." I heard Lawrence say, and I looked back over and Ethan had his hand up. I knew it was because he wanted to make sure I was safe. Even like this. It made me blush.

In the end, it was Ethan, Lawrence, Sue and I.

∇∆

We all were a tight knit, quiet group. Sue was pretty resourceful. We ducked between stores and searched the streets that were vacant with life. Until we were starting to pass a pharmacy.

I thought of Harry, he told me his painkillers were running out. I really ought to repay him for all his kindness, just one quick stop would go a long way.

"Lawrence." I shout-whispered. We ducked into an alley and I caught his attention before we moved on. The smell was pretty awful, but I was used to it by now.

"Hm?" He responded.

"There's a pharmacy over there, I'm going to go check it out real quick. See if there's anything useful. I'll be right back-" I turned to leave but Lawrence caught my shoulder.

"No, you should go with someone.." Lawrence scanned the group we had. "Go with Ethan. He'll keep you safe." Ethan nodded, acknowledging his request. I looked up at him and just looked away. I didn't say anything more to him, and just continued on my way.

As I headed into the Pharmacy, the little bell for the door rang. But it wasn't enough to cause any trouble. It smelt like a hospital, and the shelves were ransacked and nearly vacant. The ceiling was nearly caving in and the only light we had was the sunlight pouring through the window towards the front.

"Try to find some painkillers, they're for Harry." I uttered, my eyes darting around the place. As I took my first steps into the store, I heard my feet step on broken glass. It must be from the lights.

Silence hung in the air between us. There was so much I wanted to say, but I had no idea how to say any of it.

"Y'know. In high school I always wanted to talk to you, but I thought I'd never get to. Times change I guess." I laughed a bit at myself, sorting through pill bottles.

"I always wanted to talk to you too." He walked next to me, looking at the lower shelf for anything, metal bat in hand. "Never thought I was good enough." He picked up a bottle from the top shelf, shaking it to see if it had anything left.

I just looked at him, his emerald eyes staring back at me. I always dreamed about a moment like this. Where I knew he wanted me, and I wanted him back. I reached up to his face and held his cheek, my thumb brushing against it. I saw his breath hitch as I my cold hands touched his warm face. He was cold, he was shivering a bit. His nose was a bit red from the brisk air nipping at it, the same way with his ears and lips. His eyes looked at my lips, waiting. Slowly, I leaned in.

"You motherfuckers! This is my turf!" I masculine voice yelled out, interrupting our moment, scaring both of us. Ethan quickly moved me behind him, Metal bat in hand.

A Hefty man wielding a shotgun in one hand and a hammer in the other strolled out from behind the corner. We both tensed, but Ethan held fast, if anything he took a step closer.

"Fuckin' scavengers, trying to take my shit! This is my stuff! My home! You shits don't understand I need to provide!" He was furious, spitting with every word.

"We haven't taken anything from you. Please, just let us go." Ethan spoke calmly and slowly.

"Bullshit you haven't!" The old man swung with the hammer and backhanded Ethan across the face with it, blood from his face scattered over the floor. I screamed as he stumbled into the shelves because of the sheer force of the blow.

"Ethan!" I shouted with urgency, trying to help him back up. I was terrified.

"I suggest you-" I man stopped, stumbling with his words. He shut his mouth, almost as if he was going to vomit. but as he reopening it, blood spilled out. He looked down and his shirt began to stain with blood. He slumped over, shotgun falling to the floor. And there stood Lawrence. A sick smile across his face. As the man died, he went down and stabbed him with a shard of glass a couple of more times for good measure.

Sue rushed into the store after Lawrence, and stopped once she had seen the massacre. She held her hand up to her mouth so she wouldn't vomit. She looked at me with a knowing look, and I agreed. It had to be Lawrence.

None of us dared to say a word. We all just stared at him. Until we heard another set of footsteps. We all rushed to hiding places, Ethan quickly gripped my hand sprang to action. We jumped over the counter. We crouched and hid below it.

I looked to Ethan and I was terrified, but he didn't stop holding my hand. I could see his knuckles turn white.

"Uncle?! Uncle!" The younger man wailed, lamenting, "I knew your mind was going out but I though we could have made it!" The younger man whispered to the dead one, "There's a safe zone uncle. I found a poster. Full of food and-and clothes-and... I'm so sorry..." The young man sat there, and cried for a while before dragging the body out. That's when we all slipped away.

Ethan and I both stared at each other with confusion and surprise. A safe zone?