Ethan - Night Watch

(Heya, this is made to be apart of the series of 'Ethans path' but it works as a stand-alone chapter. There might be some things that come up that were mentioned in the previous chapters, but that's all. As always, this is my rendition of what happens in the story, but better)

"Wow. Clear night tonight huh?" Ethan and I walked side my side. We were patrolling the field tonight. It was cold, but since there was no power to the main city anymore there was no light pollution, every star could be seen. There was a cold breeze that bit at my cheeks and my nose.

"Mhm." Ethan nods at my statement agreeing, though I noticed his eyelids hanging low.

I would be on edge otherwise, but being next to Ethan made me feel safer. He didn't seem phased by the circumstances, he was diligent. I feel so paranoid.. but he's calm, sleepy even. I wonder how he does it.

"I remember you used to have practice on this field sometimes." I look about, reminiscing. Ethan follows my eyes, looking over the baseball field. I remember taking yearbook photos from those bleachers as well. "What I wouldn't give to have things go back to the way they were." I spoke solemnly.

"Me too." Ethan agreed, looking out over the field, taking in the sight. It looked like he was trying to relive his old memories in his head. "Times have changed."

"You mean you have changed." I replied, seeing if I could pry in a little.

"I was being a kid then. These aren't the times to be a kid anymore." Ethan looked at the ground, his expression became hardened. It weighed heavy on my heart to see him so troubled.

Suddenly, I heard a branch snap, and I jumped and yelped a little.

"Shh. Be quiet." Ethan quietly hushed me, as he stepped ahead of me protectively. His ears peeking up and he became more alert.

I looked up at him, the light of a million stars behind him. I could see the faint red on his cheeks and the end of his ears from the biting cold. Although is face had become more gaunt since the end of the world. He used to have chubbier cheeks before the apocalypse hit the school, and he was forced to grow up. But he was still as handsome as ever, still my Ethan.

"Did that wake you up?" I whispered jokingly.

"Guess so." He answered back with a slight smile, walking back to me. "I think it was a rabbit or something. I don't hear or see anything else." Ethan stated, but paused. After a moment he continued with, "You know, I used to fall asleep a lot in class."

"I remember. All of the teachers hated you, either you were excused so you could go to baseball practice, or you fell asleep in their class." I giggled, I remember glancing over at Ethan during class only to find him sleeping. It was cute, he always looked so peaceful.

"Yeah. I did a lot of bad things back then too. A lot of things I wish I could take back." He winced. I tried to push further since I finally got him talking.

"Like what?"

"I was mean... I broke a lot of hearts.. Did a lot of reckless things. I guess I was just being a kid."

"Ethan, it's okay to rest every once in a while. You all do things we regret, it's okay." I smiled, looking up at him. I grabbed his hand and held it, but he seemed to deep in thought to really react to it, but he didn't let go. My heart began to race a little.

"That's why I got my act together. I act so tough because I need to be, the last thing anyone needs me too be is scared. So I don't allow myself to be." Ethan's expression saddens, "I miss my teammates. We got separated during the attack and I was on my own. That's when I learned.." Ethan trailed off.

"Well Ethan, you'll always have me. I might not be much, but I'll always be there Ethan. We have each other. Maybe we'll find them one day, but I'll be there until we do." I squeezed his hand, and he squeezed back. I couldn't help but feel my face heat up a little.

"Yeah.." Ethan seemed to be moved by my words slightly, and a happier expression appeared on his face, "We should be getting back now huh?"

"I think so." I answered.

And we walked back, hand in hand.