Lawrence - Path continued (12)

As we were waiting for rescue, I quickly turned to Harry.

"Harry, since we're alone right now, I need to talk to you about something." I curtly stated.

"Yeah, of course. What do you need?" Harry was slightly surprised at how I sprung to action.

"What do you think about Lawrence?" I asked.

"Well uh..." I could see he was trying to find the words so that he wouldn't upset me.

"Harry, please don't be afraid to be honest. Tell me how you feel." I beseeched him, showing him a reassuring smile. I felt much different inside, I just wanted answers.

"There's just been some strange occurrences.. Like Eugene told me-" Harry started, but was interrupted.

"Quite the pickle you've gotten yourselves in!" I heard Zion taunting from the other side. "Let me go get Ethan." I heard his footsteps trail off. He was gone for a moment, before I heard another pair of footsteps. The wreckage suddenly started to move as they sifted through it. It seemed to be taking a long time.

I cursed at myself in my head, Harry was too suspicious. I wished I had more time to talk to him.

"Wait! Eugene! Help us will ya?" I heard Zion stop him. It took a while, but eventually Harry and I were freed.

"Oh Jesus, thank you guys." Harry laughed, glad he was out of there.

"Yeah thanks!" I faked my excitement, actually I felt a sense of dread. They couldn't find out Lawrence killed Jay and got rid of Judy, there would be too many questions. They would question his authority. And it would be all my fault I didn't stop it.

"Actually guys-I found something. And I need to tell someone about it." Eugene stopped us, and looked concerned. He took out Jay's hunting knife.

Fuck.

"Where did you find this?" Zion asked, and watched as Ethan took it from his hands to examine it.

"I found it downstairs." Eugene answered. Double fuck. I was downstairs with Lawrence the other day and I must have dropped it somehow.

"We should talk to Lawrence about this." Ethan politely suggested. The boys all seemed to agree, and it looked like everything was about to fall apart.

∇∆

"This is kinda ironic, usually I'm the one to call for these meetings." Lawrence joked as we all filed into the home room. "What's the meaning of all this?" He was clearly unaware of the circumstances.

Everyone had gathered and been scattered about the room. Hailey was anxious, while Sue and Scarlett were more deadpan.

"Please Lawrence, if you would sit down." Harry gestured to a seat. Lawrence raised an eyebrow at the sudden shift of power, but didn't find enough reason to fight about it. I went down to sit next to him. I felt even more nervous than Hailey.

"I recently found Judy's bracelet downstairs. I though that was really suspicious because Judy didn't patrol downstairs in the days before she went missing. And now Eugene's found something even more alarming." Harry gestured over to Eugene.

"Actually," Eugene spoke up, as he was standing next to Zion. "I found this." He held up Jay's hunting knife. Scarlett gasped.

"Why do you have that?!" Lawrence exclaimed, demanding an answer. I knew it was because he meant for me to have it, to keep me safe and I lost it.

"I found it while I was out patrolling downstairs on the ground floor, after he uh.." Eugene didn't want to say the words.

"He wouldn't let anyone else touch it, let alone lose it." Scarlett started to panic.

"That something isn't right. There's something suspicious happening." Harry announced at the head of the room.

"You guys.. I'm insulted. I'm supposed to be the leader right? How come nobody told me about this stuff?" Lawrence patronized, I knew he was panicking inside like me. But he held fast, and stayed confident. I greatly admired his resolve.

"Someone better tell me what's happening right now." Scarlett was freaking out, and she was starting to hyperventilate. She was pacing back and forth on the left side of the room.

"Scarlett, calm down-" Zion started.

"Don't tell me to calm down!" Scarlett screamed. "Judy's bracelet, Jays knife, and now my lip balm! Can't you see?! Can't anyone else see?! I'm next!" Scarlett was in full panic-mode. Zion walked over to her in an effort to calm her down, but she pushed him back.

"Why are all of you so calm?! Harry, tell me you found that bracelet in Judy's room!" Scarlett screamed, manic. But he stayed silent. "Say it!" Scarlett had tears streaming down her face at this point, and she fled the room. We were all quiet, trying to process this new information. Even me, and I looked at Lawrence. What had he set in motion?

"Well.." Lawrence cleared his throat. "I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation for everything. There is no need for alarm." Lawrence waves his hand dismissively. His demeanor was so cool, I was convinced.

"Really, you guys are all jumping to conclusions. This all started because of one little bracelet. You won't let that ruin the nice little group we have here right?" Lawrence got up from his desk and assumed the head of the classroom again. "As for you all, I'm supposed to be the leader of the group. How can I lead if not everyone is being honest with me?"

I saw the pang of guilt on Harry's face. I was witnessing Lawrence's genius first hand. Somehow, he had turned the energy of the room against them. It was so astounding it was kinda hot.

"Maybe we should sleep on it, hm?" Lawrence said in the most aggressively polite manner, patting Harry on his shoulder. "Meeting dismissed." He gritted his teeth, look long like he was concealing his frustration and left the room. Thus, the meeting was over.

But I just stayed in the room. I felt awful. I almost got Lawrence busted, and there was so much more at stake now. I didn't want to face him, so I stayed.

I ended up looking out the windowsill, as dusk began to set. The sunset was still beautiful as ever. Thank god at least that would never change.

Eugene came up behind me and stood by me, look at me with concern.

"You holdin' up okay?" He asked.

"Yeah. It's whatever." I shrugged.

"Hey. Scarlett was screaming but at least it wasn't at you." Eugene was trying to look at the bright side of things for me. I was still discouraged, and for reasons he didn't know. "Things are much more interesting with you around. Before you, it was boring as hell! Isn't that right Ethan." We both looked at Ethan, who was passed out on a desk at this point. It cracked a smile on my face, it was great comedic timing.

"Poor guy. Stay here-I'm going to take him back to his room." Eugene left my side to move Ethan. I was still fixated at the window, watching the school yard.

What's that?

I blinked, and leaned against the glass, trying to see. It was so dark. But I knew it was human, I could tell by the way it moved.

Wait-Judy?!

I dashed out of the room without a second thought. I missed her so much, maybe she'd come back to us.

I ran out to the court yard. "Judy!" I called.

But as my heels screeched to a halt, the being wasn't Judy anymore. But a horrendous zombie.