Eugene - Path continued (6)

I tried to nap, get some rest but I couldn't. I was on edge, and alone. I knew I was safer now at least, but I was alone.

I was alone for the longest time when I was fending for myself in that gas station. There is nothing more soul crushing than isolation. I was assaulted when I was alone, and now I was more scared than ever of it.

Eventually my silence was interrupted when someone came knocking at my door.

We were all called to the home room to divide the daily rations, which was usually empty carbs from snacks that usually left you feeling disgusting and sluggish. But it was better than nothing.

"But I hate salt and vinegar!" Eugene wined, looking at his chips. While he sat in his desk. I was sitting in the desk across from him.

"Hey, I had it last time. So it's your turn." Zion said in his way out, "Sorry tike. I don't make the rules." He ruffled his hair to tease him, and left the room. Eugene mopped, and it was adorable, I couldn't help but giggle a little.

"Hey, I found a unspoiled sealed sandwich the other day, Lawrence told me to keep it in my emergency rations, but I'm sure it would be okay if you had it instead." I spoke in a hushed manner despite us being the only two in the room at the moment.

Eugene thought for a moment. "I'll trade you for it." He was referring to his chips.

"Deal." I said, getting the sandwich out of my bag and handing it to him while he slid over the chips.

I didn't end up eating the chips. I just put them back in the ration pile. I was too nervous to eat right now, and besides, it'll help us in the long run.

Another meeting was held to discuss the lack of food. Lawrence stayed we would need to try to scavenge from some new areas of town if we wanted to find anything.

I was less focused than usual. I found a spare jacket and used it to cover my bruises as best I could.

I sat next to Eugene, I felt safe with him. He asked me if we could stay together, and I intend on keeping that promise. I could tell my fatigue worried him anyway.

The meeting was again dismissed, but I couldn't find the strength to get up from my desk. Mentally and physically. Eugene got up to leave, but told me if I needed anything to come find him. I nodded weakly in response.

I could feel the open wounds I had ripped open from wrenching my hand against the handcuffs start to bruise and scab over.

Harry noticed my lack of motivation and action, and always tried to be considerate of my feelings.

"Hey.. Are you okay?" Harry stood above me as I sat in the desk. I prepared to brush him off, but when I looked up at him I could only see genuine concern in his eyes. Harry isn't like the others, maybe he'll listen. My eyes immediately begin to well up, seeing such a friendly face.

"Woah woah woah.." Harry noticed my sudden shift in demeanor, and sat down next to my seat on the desk, our height being the same now. After keeping up the act to myself and others, I was practically melting into Harry's comforting attitude. "Just tell me what's on your mind." He showed me that reassuring smile.

"Something-someone-bad is in this school Harry." I blinked back tears, trying to hold my composure. "I came face to face with it, and it assaulted me. Harry, I'm terrified." I rolled up my sleeve to show him the marks left on my wrists. He visibly winced, only imagining what I went through. "Someone here did this to me Harry."

Harry thinks for a moment, this new information weighing heavy in his head, "I really want to believe you, but I really can't imagine anyone that we know being so... Violent. Maybe a person snuck in, or has been living here in secret." The last sentence sent a chill up my spine. An intruder? A stranger? That thought is even scarier, to know someone might be listening, and watching without my knowledge.

"I'm so sorry, but we have to be careful with this information. The paranoia will rip this group to shreds if we start to be suspicious of each other. One time, Eugene was cornered by his own friends because they thought he was infected and.." Harry looked at me and trailed off. pain in his eyes where there was previously comfort, "If it is an outsider, we'll start accusing each other for nothing." He didn't want to continue with his previous statement.

I calmly nodded to Harry, listening. Although this new information about Eugene scared me. What happened?

"I'm so sorry, but I think we just have to keep this to ourselves a little while longer. Believe me, if we were under normal circumstances, I would treat this much differently."

"It's okay Harry. I know you just want the best, but Eugene and Zion already know." I looked at him, with concern on my face.

"It's okay, I'll talk to them. I'm sure they'll understand." Harry comforted me, and I hugged him. Even though the culprit was out there still, it lifted a weight off my chest to know someone believed me. "Thank you so much Harry.. for listening to me."

"Of course." He stood back up, getting ready to leave the room.

"Wait Harry-" I called after him, and he turned his attention towards me, "Eugene told me to tell you he found a radio in the broadcasting room."

Harry looked at me, puzzled. "When did he find that?"

"Today."

"Did you he need your key?"

"No." There was visible concern and confusion on Harry's face.

"That room has been locked ever since we got here." Harry paused, "Someone must have opened it."

We stared at each other, silent. A unsettling feeling hung in the air. There wasn't much time to discuss however, because patrols were in a hour or two.