Lotus (로터스)

"Hey Namjoon?"

"Hm?"

"What happened to me?"

The boy paused and put down the book he was reading as he looked down at the girl whose head was in his lap on the couch. "What do you mean, darling? What happened to you today? Well, you woke up around 8 and you cleaned Sonia's cage and then ate breakfast with us and Jimin took you to therapy and then-"

"No, no not like that," Nari laughed, "I mean, what happened to me before I got here. What happened during the parts that I can't remember?" She took a deep breath, "Dr. Kang says that I should start talking with you. She said that maybe if I start talking about it then I won't feel as bad."

Namjoon gently stroked her hair, "Of course. I'm always here for you, Nari." He bent down and kissed her forehead, causing the girl to giggle as the tips of his hair tickled her nose, "I just want to ask, is therapy working for you? Is twice a week too much?"

"No, it's good!" The girl replied, "And I don't know if I would call it working, but I feel better knowing that you guys are here for me." She smiled softly, "Jimin helps a lot when I'm at therapy."

"Jimin is a really kind person," He agreed, "He cares a lot more than what he lets on. And as for what happened to you, we don't really know exactly. All we know for sure is that you were part of a human trafficking ring. I'm sorry darling, I can't tell you any more than that."

"It's alright," Nari sat up and stretched, letting out a relaxed yawn, "I guess I've just been thinking a lot about it lately. I have all these questions and I feel like I won't be okay until I know the answers."

"Well, what kind of questions are they?"

The girl shrugged, "I don't think you'd be able to answer them anyway."

"Try me." Namjoon replied, "The worst I can say is that I don't know."

"Okay," Nari nodded, "Namjoon, do you know who my parents are?"

The boy pulled her close, taking a deep breath and making sure that he chose his words carefully. The results of the paternity test came in the mail a few days ago and they were a perfect match. It was really only a matter of time before Nari knew, "Actually, I do." He answered, "Your mother reached out to us a couple weeks ago."

"Really! She did?" Nari looked up at him excitedly, "Why didn't you tell me sooner? Who is she? What do you know about her?"

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you earlier, but your safety comes first, of course," Namjoon explained, "There are people out there that would do some screwed up things just to get our attention. But well, someone messaged all of our social media accounts-actually it's probably easier to show you instead."

He handed her the email that he pulled up on his phone, "So yeah. That's your mom."

It seemed like an eternity for for Nari to finish reading the message. She scrolled to the bottom of the page and clicked on the first picture she saw, which was the one with the cast. The girl looked up at him, "That's me." She pointed at the photo, "Just like Dr. Kang said, there's my broken arm."

"Yeah, that's you."

"I existed." Nari whispered, "I existed. Look, that's me."

Namjoon smiled, "That's you, Nari."

"This is real, right? Like she's really my mom?"

"Uh huh, we did a paternity test and everything," The boy nodded, "She's your mom, darling."

Nari hugged him tightly, "Can I meet her? Is that okay?"

"Of course." Namjoon kissed the top of her head, "I will never stop you from seeing your family."