Chapter 42- Andrew

Start from the beginning

He glanced at Bill tied in the backseat. He hadn't stirred the whole night, though the bleeding on the side of his head had stopped.

"Where is he?" George asked, appearing at his side.

Andrew pointed his chin towards the car, not saying a word.

There was sick excitement in George's eyes, almost like he was happy. He reached for Bill, calling over two other men and had them carry him away, towards the smaller of two houses in the clearing.

"What are you going to with him?" he asked and then added quickly. "Cat Eye wouldn't appreciate if any harm came to him."

George ignored him, leaving to talk to a group of men by the larger house. That one looked more like a bunker than a house, but this still didn't look like a base. Majesty must have a bigger one up north. This, this is a trap.

He walked the clearing, coming to the house entrance. The sun had risen in the sky and people circulated all around, talking, polishing weapons, some sparring. They wore tracksuits, much like they used to in Phi, but they were all grown men and women. Andrew was well-aware of the stares he got from people who didn't recognize him, but no one confronted him. He felt like he was in enemy territory as he reached the house entrance. The rational part of him knew these people would treat him better than anyone in Phi would if he went back.

The inside was pretty bare of furniture, aside from a few tables and chairs. Maps were strewn about the walls, but every so often in the scribbles of unfamiliar handwriting, he managed to make out a word. Phi.

"Move," someone said, shoving Andrew aside and dumping a pile of clothes and weapons onto the table in the middle of the room.

Andrew didn't say a word as the woman walked around, collecting papers of the wall and occasionally adding writing onto the remaining maps.

Against his better judgment, Andrew spoke. "What are you doing?"

"New lead," she said. "They found another one in Italy."

Another what? Phi agent? Before he dared ask, the pile of things on the table caught his eye. It was an M. Corp uniform and an ordinary gun. But, on top of it sat a Phi wristwatch and a sheathed knife with a golden handle. Andrew picked up the knife.

"You can take that if you want. They took it off the Phi kid," the woman said as she made her way into another room.

Andrew inspected the handle of the dagger, noticing a letter 'M' was engraved on the side. He had seen Cassandra fighting with that dagger, but as of recently, Bill was carrying it around. He cast a look around, before switching his dagger with the golden one. Next, he picked up the wristwatch and pocketed it.

The next room over was a kitchen. He noticed George sitting at a dining table, surrounded by other people. Plates of food lined the kitchen island and like the rest, Andrew took one and seated himself down next to his mentor.

"Hey, George." A guy from Andrew called. "Who's this?"

"Jackson. He worked with me in Phi."

The man smirked, taking a sip of his beer. "Cheers to that."

Andrew frowned, focusing on his food.

"Bruce, will you ever try to feed me and not poison me?" George asked, eyebrows raised at his omelet.

"You can cook tomorrow if you want. Though I don't recommend. We don't have a fire alarm yet," one of the two guys at the stove said.

"Shut up," the blond woman from before said, grabbing a sandwich from the island. "You can't cook to save your life."

"But I can do other things," George said with a smirk.

The woman rolled her eyes.

"How close are we?" Another man asked.

The guy next to him turned and gave him a look of disbelief. "Did you see what those psycho children did last night? I wouldn't call that 'being close'."

Andrew's attention snapped to the conversation.

"Well, we better be, because if we aren't then I'll have to cancel my vacation to Mykonos and Mandy is not going to like that one bit."

"Don't be so sure you'll go, Bruce. Snakehead's still going to be out there," a guy at the table said, lifting his fork to get the attention of the room.

"Maybe, but he can wait until I'm back."

The other cook tapped Bruce's shoulder from behind. "Sure he can."

#

"Agent Jackson," George called behind him that evening as he sat, watching the blue house where they had taken Bill.

"Your wristwatch," George said, handing him a new watch. "Connected to all our lines of communication."

Andrew took it and nodded. "Thanks."

"You can get rid of the Phi one now," George said, his hand still extended.

Andrew paused, hesitating. He was no longer a part of Phi. He didn't need to communicate with them. "Right." Andrew reached around his wrist, unclasping his watch and handed it over.

The stars were barely out, but it was already getting cold and Andrew would need to go inside soon. He got up from the ground and made his way towards the tree-line. He crouched behind a thick tree, leaning on the bark and pulled Bill's dagger out, toying with it in his hands.

Andrew ran a hand down his face. He had fucked it all up, but he had done it to protect as people as he could. That ought to count for something, right?

"No, it doesn't," he told himself. He was a traitor.

Fix it, love. I know you can, his mom's words rung in his ears. He wiped tears away from his eyes. He had tried.

He sniffed. He had tried so hard. Each plan, each step he took, it was to save his family, his friends. But he was alone again.

He rocked back and forth, hands tugging at the ends of his hair. He would never have a family again.

Fix it, love.

"I fucking can't," he murmured.

Something beeped inside his pocket.

Andrew held his breath as he pulled out Bill's wristwatch from his pocket. He had forgotten it was in there. The last time he checked, the device was off, but he must've turned it on during the day.

An idea popped into his head and he enabled the GPS option on the device, before writing a message.

They will expect you, so you better surprise them good. I'm sorry.- Andrew

He breathed heavily, pulling the hood of his jacket over his head and sat in the silence. Alone once again. 

______

Hey there!

I don't know about you, but this chapter makes me feel really sad. Andrew didn't deserve this. Or maybe he did? Let me know what you think. 

Vote, comment, wash your hands and stay at home. 

Happy writing, 

Sara