Ch. 29 - Overwhelming Past

T-City, Eagle Fist Dojo. Some years before.

"Excuse me... I want to join this school. I recently moved from UK and I want to practise martial arts." A boy claimed, reaching the top of the long staircase without flinching once.

"You're really young... A stranger, uh? It must be a first in our dojo..." A man commented, looking at the guy without much hopes about his acceptance.

"Another daydreamer who heard about our Master. Gouketsu-san is the strongest man in the entire world. Who do you think you are? Asking to join his school so carefree..." One of the student retorted, mocking the boy.

"Don't be harsh... He could give a try about the "exam" like the others." The man replied, hiding his laughs. He enjoyed looking at newcomers failing the trial prepared for them.

"Youngster, the challenge is extremely simple. You must rush over the staircase you just climbed and reach the entrance within a minute." He explain, taking out a stopwatch.

"Eh... neither a well trained man can accomplish that so heart-lightly. Eventually he'll run out of time or slip along the rocks in an attempt to make it." A crowd of students gathered to look at the new challenger.

"It seems fun... I bet he'll neither reach half of the path."

"Surely he's too weak to succeed."

"I'm going to take out the first aid kit..."

The audience didn't have doubts on the outcome.

"Only this and nothing more? Deal!" The boy took position, like a runner on the starting box.

"Yes, yes... be ready and... go!" The man gave the signal.

Surprising all the bystanders the challenger sat on the handrail, sliding along it at high speed.

"WHAT! That's not fair! Damn brat, you're cheating!" The students shouted angrily, for them completing the trial required lots of hard training.

"No one said a word about how I would reach the finish line!" The boy shouted, making fun of the older students and avenging their salty comments.

While distracted for an instant he lost the grip on the handrail due the speed higher and higher, risking to crash in a dangerous and painful way on the rocks along the staircase.

"Hurry! Someone catch this airhead! It's too dangerous for him, he's about to die!" Someone shouted, the boy was losing his course.

"Wait a moment... No need to get worried!" The man replied, looking at the contender with mouth wide open.

Using his foot the boy grabbed the handrail and with a hip movement he regained a firm grip, reaching the arrival and landing in front of the entrance with a flip.

"That was close... How is it? What's my time?" He giggled.

"Y-You completed the challenge in... 25 seconds. A new record!" The man confirmed, despite all it was a fair challenge. He understood why he and the others were still low tier students in the dojo, not able to figure out that simple trick and even mocking and underestimating a complete stranger. The misterious boy accomplished the trial and gave them a lesson at the same time.

"You're admitted to our school of the Eagle Fist. I'll arrange the ceremony for your official joining, but first... What's your name?" He asked.

"Let's see if I can pronounce it right, I still can't speak Japanese very well... My name is Y/N." He declared with a smile.

Timeskip. Three years later.

"Have you heard? Y/N has finally learned ki manipulation." A student was chatting with his friend during a break of their training.