Ch. 50 - Pivotal Point

"So, let me recap some stuff... Your father challenged Fuutarou in order to reinstate him as the official tutor. In the upcoming National Mock Exam if he won't reach top ten nationally, and I mean... NATIONALLY, he'll be forced to part away from you five. Not to mention Quintuplets must reach an overall passing score in every subject. Did I leave anything out?" Y/N replayed events from the day before.

"Yeah, after the 'friendly' meeting with that man we began working hard for real. Not like a certain someone who disappeared without a word for three hours straight, leaving his pal on his own." Fuutarou complained, absorbed into reading a textbook while walking to school.

"Huh?! I told you already. That emergency signal was a top priority! I sincerely can't overlook on endangered lives while playing the romcom MC part." Y/N replied back.

"Pretty convenient this way..." Fuutarou huffed doubtful while turning page.

"Speaking of which. Y/N, have you fought a powerful monster? News report that King saved an entire city threatened by a giant centipede but not a word about you..." Yotsuba carelessly asked.

"Sigh, I'm on a secret mission and must keep a low profile. From now onward I won't earn much fame and fortune, even less than before." The boy explained.

"But indeed you were wounded. Have you already recovered?" Miku was worried.

"I'm fine... Not a scratch from yesterday!" Y/N was laughing loudly.

"Are you sure?" Nino poked his side.

"Argh! It hurts like hell!" The hero bended in pain.

"Dumbass! If you're injured don't act cocky and be sure to heal properly!" Nino scolded him.

"Grr, a nurse shouldn't harass her patients..." Y/N hissed towards the girl.

"Quit it you two! I can't focus with your newlywed's bickering. There isn't much time left and I have a lot to do." Fuutarou yelled, trying to solve a difficult quiz.

"Hey, that's mean! Can't you wait to reach class at least? It's dangerous walking like this." Nino talked back to the tutor.

"That's right... but as things stand now we must endure his cold and impolite attitude. Gotta follow Fuu-kun's orders at their fullest. He'll make possible for us to defeat again your father and drag that Takeda guy off his golden throne." Y/N explained while grabbing Fuutarou by his shirt collar, preventing him to cross a road with a red light.

"You seem used to deal with him while he's... like this." Miku pointed out the boy's change of attitude.

"Well, whenever he's troubled due exams Fuu-kun enters a full immersion studying mode. Without me and Raiha he'd even forget to eat and drink. But I admit it was long since the last time." Y/N revealed.

"If only we could be at least half as serious as him..." Itsuki sighed.

"Hell no! He's not a proper role model. You wouldn't last a day with Fuu-kun's routine. If you want to improve let's begin gradually. Just try emulating Ichika, she's proving good at balancing working schedules and studies." Y/N interjected.

"Speaking of which, where is she?" The hero was looking around for the older sister.

"Ichika said something about a quick stop to a cafe but she hasn't returned yet." Miku informed him.

"Grr... she had to ask me first. As if I let her mock teachers' pride!" Y/N retraces his step, grinning teeth.

"Ha ha ha... sorry for the delay. I was rooting for something to drink." Ichika met the hero halfway, a paper coffee cup in her hand.